Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I'll probably get alot of different opinions on this... but try to keep it general...

I have been fabricating my bronco for the past 3 years and I am at the closing few months until its done. At this point i am ready to get a winch. I also need to build my front bumper. I really don't want one with out the other. And i have a huge fear of dropping $$ on a winch and then being disappointed when i use it.

Here's the Question. In a serious off-road Rig, What are my options for a good, dependable winch? Basically, from your experience with winches, point me in the right direction. I am looking at 5-6k in truck weight, on 38" x 16.5"wide Swampers. I would like a winch that is low in profile so i can tuck it behind the bumper. I would like to use a winch i can use in "stuck" situation and/or use it to negotiate steep terrain.

I don't have a lot of knowledge about winches and there different types unfortunately. This is why i don't want to end up with the wrong crap.

I have a 170 amp alternator on a 12v system for electric winch possibilities,
As well as i have np203/205 combo with PTO options.

Lets here your ideas, i want to buy a winch in the next two weeks and i have a budget i want to stay between $700-$1100.

Thanks for your help, Details appreciated.:thumbup

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm a fan of installing quality, so Warn is what I went with. I have a Warn 9.5xp with a synthetic rope replacing the steel cable (weight savings). It's a strong motor and well proven, solenoid box can be mounted anywhere which gives you more mounting options. I purchased for around $985 if I remember correctly. When comparing winches, consider the motor output and gear ratio. The Warn 9.5xp is a quick spool.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
I also chose Warn over all the cheapies to choose from out there these days. I don't know if warn is still making there stuff in the USA? Purchased mine about 8yrs ago now. Another option that has pros and cons over the warn would be a MM hydro.

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
Warn M12000. It's got good line speed, great power, and it's built like a tank.

The reason I recommend it is the pulling force by layer. If you look at the spec tables on the winches you'll see that the first wrap on the drum pulls at the winch rating, then it goes down. With the 12k you still have over 9200# of pulling force on the 5th layer on the drum. On the 9.5k it's down to 6940# on the 5th layer. The tradeoff is that pulling force takes amps, so your electrical system needs to be up to the job.

You rig is set up for doing serious enough wheeling that you're going to need all the pulling power you can get at some point in time.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Warn M12000. It's got good line speed, great power, and it's built like a tank.

The reason I recommend it is the pulling force by layer. If you look at the spec tables on the winches you'll see that the first wrap on the drum pulls at the winch rating, then it goes down. With the 12k you still have over 9200# of pulling force on the 5th layer on the drum. On the 9.5k it's down to 6940# on the 5th layer. The tradeoff is that pulling force takes amps, so your electrical system needs to be up to the job.

You rig is set up for doing serious enough wheeling that you're going to need all the pulling power you can get at some point in time.
never thought of this, good info

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would highly recommend at least a 10,000 lb winch. I've been winched out 3 times in the past year and the first time it was with a Warn 9.5Ti. It stalled out completely and would not free my bronco. The other two times were with a Warn M8000 and we had to use a snatch block to get me unstuck, barely. With that said, I would still highly recommend a Warn. I'm going to be buying a Warn VR 10,000 or 12,000. If I get the 10k, I'm getting it with the synthetic rope. I really recommend a snatch block for what ever you choose.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought a cheap 10,000 from harbor freight and love it. I've used it for about everything. Pulling other people out to pulling a 16 ft outhouse onto a trailer. Ive loaded a engine stuck wd45 allis tractor onto a flat bed. I Paid 299 with a coupon.

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
Interesting that the two winches you are looking at have the same drum dimensions and nearly identical gear ratios, but the pull by layer spec is very different. The endurance winch spec table must be a typo.

I have the M12000 and it's a beast.
agree. 6700 lbs on 4th layer, no way for a 12k that is $1800. My 9kXD is a little over 7k on the 4th layer.

did you also note the short 3/8ths cable? isn't your old 12k 125' of 3/8ths? I have 100', and these are 94' and 80'.

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
agree. 6700 lbs on 4th layer, no way for a 12k that is $1800. My 9kXD is a little over 7k on the 4th layer.

did you also note the short 3/8ths cable? isn't your old 12k 125' of 3/8ths? I have 100', and these are 94' and 80'.
Actually I've got 125' of 7/16" cable on it. I like the added safety factor of the 17,600# breaking strength.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
Actually I've got 125' of 7/16" cable on it. I like the added safety factor of the 17,600# breaking strength.
it came with 3/8ths though. I should have noted my 100' on a 9k is 5/16ths.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.