Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a problem. i go wheelin every now and than but sometimes get stuck. myy buddys dont have good rigs. i need a winch. but im a broke college student. so ive been looking around and i realized i dont know how powerful i need. it would only be if i am stuck. so do i need to get a 3000 lb winch or 8000lb winch i have no clue. thanks

·
Call an amberlamps!
1,349 Posts
this comes down to the "X" factor.

How much coin are you willing to spend?
How deep is the mud your getting stuck in?

8'000 if you can afford it, 3,000 if you cant

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its nothing to bad when i get stuck just little stuff but harbor freight looks cheap i can get a 10000lb winch for 399.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
its nothing to bad when i get stuck just little stuff but harbor freight looks cheap i can get a 10000lb winch for 399.
well there you go and then spend another 100 bucks or so on a real good snatch block and you are all set

link to 10k winch for 399 please

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
If you buy, consider you'll break even on your first tow bill.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Figure you will probably need to add another battery and upgrade the charging system...

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Figure you will probably need to add another battery and upgrade the charging system...
Dual batts are nice to have, but he does not need it. same with upgrading the charging system as long as he's not doing long, heavy pulls. I've used my warn several times with single optima, stock 95A alternator, no issues with fairly short pulls.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Dual batts are nice to have, but he does not need it. same with upgrading the charging system as long as he's not doing long, heavy pulls. I've used my warn several times with single optima, stock 95A alternator, no issues with fairly short pulls.
True but I doubt that HF winch is very efficient with the amperes :beer

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well that second battery would be nice cause i want to run a 1500 watt power converter is there a write up on a second battery and what would i need to do this. the mile marker is kinda expensive. how much for that bulldog one

·
AKA Joe
1,109 Posts
I don't know anyone with that winch but I have a little experience with Chicago Electric tools. I have a few things made by them, they work fine but if your somebody who's going to be in heavy use of thier items it may be a good idea to spend a few more bucks on a name brand item. That winch is probably fine for a occasional pull but if you plan on using it for a long hard pull and often it might pay to save up a few bucks and go for a mile marker or warn IMHO.

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
I don't know anyone with that winch but I have a little experience with Chicago Electric tools. I have a few things made by them, they work fine but if your somebody who's going to be in heavy use of thier items it may be a good idea to spend a few more bucks on a name brand item. That winch is probably fine for a occasional pull but if you plan on using it for a long hard pull and often it might pay to save up a few bucks and go for a mile marker or warn IMHO.
I vote for the mile marker hydraulic - it'll be a bit cheaper and don't have to worry about extra battery and all that stuff that goes along with it.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
If he gets a hydro, wouldn't he have to upgrade the hydrolic system. Either upgrade the power steering pump to flow right or put it's own pump on there? He won't be getting full advantage of the winch then.
He just needs to search and look at Bossind's hryfro install for all the details.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok what size isolater do i need would 70 amp work. how would it affect a dual batt. or should i get a higher amp.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts