Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....My back window wont go down. Yes, I searched...But, Didnt see anything that really helped.

I cant put it down by the dash switch....Nothing. The key in the tailgate, nothing. I dont hear anything on either....Crawled in the back and took the panel off, All the connections are good, As well as below the tailgate. Wires seem to be in pretty decent shape...

So, I think the motor is just dead. It worked last night, but wasnt speedy gonzalez. Dont have a volt-meter, Its at work...But, If the motor wasnt dead, I'd at least hear something going on right?

What does a motor cost through napa or discount? And, Since i have to lay down in the back to put it in...Is it gonna be im-phucking-possible?

Sorry to ramble.:brownbag

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
its probably the switch that says the tailgate is closed all the way.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'd bet on the dash switch before a bad motor... particularly for your model year. The motor gets +12V through one switch, and ground through the other, vise-versa to change direction. One open switch can mean no go.

Break out your multimeter and check continuity on the switches (in all positions, including the "safety" switch as 81Bronk mentioned).... or see if you're getting 12V across the motor wires with one of the switches depressed.

If you're getting 12V it's the motor... otherwise it's wiring, switches, circuit breakers, etc.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To my understanding...the tailgate has to be closed all the way to go up or down...Is there anyway to bypass that switch to get the window down, If that is the problem?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I had that same problem. I had my sons power wheels jeep in back etc.
I removed the panel, disconnected the connector leading to the window motor and ran some a hot wire and a ground wire to connector. It worked. Let me know if you need some help.

Cleck here-Taillgate help from Steve83 superford link

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gonna try and bypass the sensor tonight. Just gonna run a wire from the battery or something and cross the ground and hot wires, see if i cant get some kinda motor movement....\would be nice.

Anyone else have any ideas as to what i could try besides the switch in the dash?

·
Registered
315 Posts
your voltage meter will solve all your problems... just work from one end (the motor) to the other (the in-dash, or tailgate switch) hotwire the motor, test the volatage before and after the tailgate latch switch .. etc...

·
"SMUGGLERS EDITION"
538 Posts
If it is the tailgate switch for if it is closed. Unplug the connector on the driver's tailgate latch and put in a jumper wire. And see if the window goes down. My was down and I could not get it to go up and it was that switch.

Hope this helps.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
I had the same problem and it turned out to be the wires running from the body by the driver's side tail light to the tailgate. One of the wires was cut and two of them were frayed. As soon as I spliced and taped them all up it worked fine. Then, of course, 2 days later the motor went out anyway and I had to tear the tailgate apart to replace it. Mine died while the window was down though so all I had to do was open the tailgate and go to work. So the first thing you need to do is get the window down so you can open the gate. Then before you go too much farther I'd check those wires. I've talked to several other guys who had the same problem with the wires getting cut.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Worst case, just pull the window out, replace motor, then re-install window.

That's what I did too mine.

And yes you can lower the tailgate with the window up, as long as you have the access panel off and push down on the release lever at the bottom of the tailgate where the window would sit on.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I fixed it, thanks to Scheki's help. The sensor on the bottom of one of the rods that wont let the window go back down if the tailgate somehow comes loose was the culprit.

Ran 2 leads right from the battery, and hot wired the motor, Got it down, And tested both the tailgate and the dash switches, And it works just as always.

Thanks for all the help. Its something to keep in mind for when it does go out. Knock on wood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts