Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know it was common for the 92-96 f150s up here to have the window channel above door crack toward's back of cab...is there any placed to buy replacement sheet metal to weld in there or is the roof untouchable?i was kinda thinking if i cut some out with a zip disk off of a regular cab f150 that i could fit it up and weld it into my bronco on passenger side above door were mines cracked ill get a picture up in the next 10 min to show what I'm talking about
thanks in advance for any ideas you guys/girls got for me its not a big deal because I'm gonna drive this bronco till it dies then buy a 96 Eb from the U.S.A and swap my mods onto its niceness but it would be nice to fix up the few body [email protected] ups if i can

·
Too poor for FSM
1,395 Posts
All three in the family have cracked on both sides in the back of the window.
I just cleaned the metal and welded them. I think thats what your asking?
Ill post a pic later today.

-Vance

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All three in the family have cracked on both sides in the back of the window.
I just cleaned the metal and welded them. I think thats what your asking?
Ill post a pic later today.

-Vance
yes please that is what im asking and a picture would help me 100%... i am a welder and have welded lots of sheet metal on Oil Rigs but i have not welded body pannels yet but dont think ill have a problem with it

EDIT: do you know if the pillar behind door is avalible aftermarket i can see all the spotwelds and think in my mind that it wouldent be hard to change

·
Too poor for FSM
1,395 Posts
Will do.

What issues do you think you will have? Its pretty straight forward as farm as im concerned
Sand all the paint around the area off, clean it up, weld a bead to fix it/ stop it from continuing
and than throw some primer on it.

Will throw a pic up in a bit though :thumbup

·
Registered
834 Posts
The B Pillar cannot be bought aftermarket from what I have discovered.
I was lucky enough to get a pair of clean ones from Southern California that I am going to be welding in.
There was a TSB from Ford o nthis and you can still buy a kit designed to keep this from happening.
If you are handy with a welder, I suggest just repairing the crack and then checking out the kit from Ford.
CHECK FOR RUST AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PILLAR AT THE BELTLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Water runs in the crack and settles at the bottom.
The results look like this.

The blue tape was put in to show the seller where I needed for him to cut his parts truck for me.

If you decide to cut this out yourself, remember that there is a wire that runs up the drivers side pillar that gives power to your dome light.
Also, there is some kind of a really small roll bar that is sammiched in between the inner and outer sheetmetal. Be aware that you cannot simply cut straight thru this stuff.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do.

What issues do you think you will have? Its pretty straight forward as farm as im concerned
Sand all the paint around the area off, clean it up, weld a bead to fix it/ stop it from continuing
and than throw some primer on it.

Will throw a pic up in a bit though :thumbup
its not so much the issue that ill have welding it but if u look my my picture above its dented just below that on the pillar witch seems to me to be a removable(spot-welds) sheet metal piece that i would rather replace while I'm at it if at all possable... no hurry on that pic as i wont be fixing it for a day or 2 but thought before i get into it id ask and see if anyone had fixed this before because a couple of my Buddy's restore cars for a living and told me it was a waste of time to fix it but to me its just ugly and needs fixing even if its a DD

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks "digitalbill" good info... to bad u cant buy thoes "B" pillars but im acualy thinking i could have a local shop bend me up something to fix mine ill ask around as there is not many parts broncos in my area

EDIT:Would the "B" pillar be the same in 1980 as my 1994?.. i know of a 1980 thats dead in a feild that i could cut apart if its the same

·
Registered
834 Posts
you would be better sticking with a 92-96.
from 86 MIGHT work but, the seat belts changed in 1992 and that could hang you up if you go earlier.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
They're usually referred to as "Drip Rails"......and should be available say at LMC Truck or even Broncograveyard.com....if not make them yourself... :doh0715:

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
834 Posts
There ususally referred to as "Drip Rails"......and should be available say at LMC Truck or even Broncograveyard.com....if not make them yourself... :doh0715:

Good Luck ~ :thumbup
The damage is on the B pillars itself in addition to the drip rails
I am welding min in next weekend. I think the trickest part is going to be making sure the holes for the rear top are aligned properly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The damage is on the B pillars itself in addition to the drip rails
I am welding min in next weekend. I think the trickest part is going to be making sure the holes for the rear top are aligned properly.
ok thanks guys ill keep looking for a 92-96 that i can cut apart(probably wont find one tho)
when your done could you post up some pics so i can see how it went please if you got time

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
My drivers side drip rail rusted thru a bit and I've got a crack right at the cap seem as well...............PITA.....:rofl:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts