Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

The window on both sides of the Bronco catch when I am trying to roll them up. I have to jiggle the handle around a little to free it up, then I can continue to roll the window up. They catch randomly (not every crank, sometimes 1 crank, sometimes 3) but seem to catch in the same spot every time. The gears were dirty and a little rusty, so at first I thought they needed some grease. That didnt help. Now I am wondering if the spring is causing issues or ??

Have any of you guys serviced the window regulator or replaced them? DC carries them. I have the doors gutted right now, so if I have to replace them, now is the time, but if there if this is a common problem and is serviceable, I would rather go that route.

DC Part: http://dennis-carpenter.com/window-regulator/p/D8TZ-1023200-A/

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
my rusty 78 has similar issue on drivers door, I think the gears /pivots are worn and binding
never pulled apart to check it ,but it feels like the gears are just not meshing
there is quite a bit of gear lash in mine

I picked up a pair of new power window ones for my project truck on ebay for like $80

·
Registered
408 Posts
The driver side window of my bronco catches and takes a lot of starting and stopping to roll it up.It feels like the gears are sloppy and they get out line and bind.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my rusty 78 has similar issue on drivers door, I think the gears /pivots are worn and binding
never pulled apart to check it ,but it feels like the gears are just not meshing
there is quite a bit of gear lash in mine

I picked up a pair of new power window ones for my project truck on ebay for like $80
The driver side window of my bronco catches and takes a lot of starting and stopping to roll it up.It feels like the gears are sloppy and they get out line and bind.
Thanks fellas. Yeah, with the door gutted, I could really see down in there. It looks like when I crank the window, the small gear thats the crank turns, comes slightly out of alignment with the larger gear set. I am not sure if thats due to gear lash, or the spring or if there are bearings where the crank handle attaches to the mechanism and maybe those are shot...

Either way, I should take care of this while the doors are gutted. Unless someone has a solution to the existing regulators, I will most likely replace them with some new manual ones... Another $200 spend on the good old "while I am in there". Lol...

On a positive note, I cleaned the door interior and sprayed it with undercoating/sound deadener then added a layer of Peel and Seal for additional sound deadening. Pretty happy with how the turned out. I expect the doors to outlive me. :whiteflag

Edit: I found them much cheaper at other parts suppliers. Considering that option, but want the quality. Anyone here replace their regulators and if so, who did you order from and what brand did you use?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I was drilling some holes in the door today for some speaker wiring,and I had my door panel off. As I was putting grommets in the holes I noticed there was a gap around the windshield crank post that let it slop all over and cause the gears to bind . so I took a 7/8 grommet and was able to force it into the gap to keep the gears aligned and stop binding.. I had to force the grommet in with a screwdriver.
It worked! Now I can roll window up and down with ease and without binding. I dont know how long it will last ,but its a hell of a lot easier than replacing regulator

·
Registered
764 Posts
I replaced my window regulator not more than a few years ago and am again having the same problem... I'll have to investigate a bit closer!

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was drilling some holes in the door today for some speaker wiring,and I had my door panel off. As I was putting grommets in the holes I noticed there was a gap around the windshield crank post that let it slop all over and cause the gears to bind . so I took a 7/8 grommet and was able to force it into the gap to keep the gears aligned and stop binding.. I had to force the grommet in with a screwdriver.
It worked! Now I can roll window up and down with ease and without binding. I dont know how long it will last ,but its a hell of a lot easier than replacing regulator
Hmmm. Interesting. I will have to take a closer look and see if mine is moving there to. Glad you got yours fixed! :beer

I replaced my window regulator not more than a few years ago and am again having the same problem... I'll have to investigate a bit closer!
Interesting. Did you replace with new or used? If new, do you remember where you got them?

I was looking at these from A1 Auto:

http://www.1aauto.com/ford-window-r..._content=WRG&gclid=COzl0M_BxMMCFQuQaQodykAANw

Their site says " The design of this regulator is tested to withstand 10,000 cycles. That is enough to raise and lower your window 3 times per day for 9 years."

These are less than half the cost of the DC ones, but I want to do this one time and one time only. I am on the fence between the cheaper cost and the potential for cheaply made Chinese parts that will fail again in a few years...

·
Registered
764 Posts
I was looking at RockAuto and it looks like they have regulators for even cheaper, but the ones I got were from BroncoGraveyard.com.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking at RockAuto and it looks like they have regulators for even cheaper, but the ones I got were from BroncoGraveyard.com.
Thanks. New from JBG and failing after a couple years... Thats making lean towards the DC ones. At least I know they are American made and at minimum, factory quality. I dont want to be in the position of having them fail again in a couple of years if I can help it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts