Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 06 Mustang I need to remove the tint on the rear window, it deteriorated so bad I can barely see out the window. It scrapes off easily but because of the extreme angle of the glass and the defrost grid using a razor scrapper will be a real bi*ch.
Is there any type of solution on the market that will loosen up/release 13 year old baked on tint?

thanks

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll give the heat and steam a try. The extreme angle of the back window along with the crampness of the back seat area is going to be a bi*ch. Thanks for the ideas!

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried the heat today and the thing is the tint is so deteriorated that it just turns to dust when you touch it with a razor blade, I might try a Scotch Brite pad and see if I can just rub it off

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
7,502 Posts
I tried the heat today and the thing is the tint is so deteriorated that it just turns to dust when you touch it with a razor blade, I might try a Scotch Brite pad and see if I can just rub it off
Scotch brite can scratch glass. They are fine scratches, so it looks foggy. I replaced several pizza oven windows that were "cleaned" with scotch brite back when I worked in restaurant repair.

I don't know how well the steam will work, but they make a steam wallpaper remover that you can rent. It has a reservoir that holds & heats water, a hose that runs from there to the applicator, & sort of a rectangular dish at the end to hold the steam directly over where you want to apply it.

·
Foolsize Member
1,523 Posts
I'm facing the same issue on my mustang. The first owner decided to get the monster energy "M" tinted into the back glass and it looks awful. Im seriously considering replacing the window, getting the tint off without ruining the defroster grid is going to be nearly impossible from all the tint guys ive talked to

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
instead of a razor blade, you might try a hard plastic scraper. and worst case scenario - pay someone.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The first owner decided to get the monster energy "M" tinted into the back glass
That's some serious brand dedication. lol

I'll never understand why people do that with things the company doesn't even make themselves.

·
Foolsize Member
1,523 Posts
That's some serious brand dedication. lol

I'll never understand why people do that with things the company doesn't even make themselves.
The car is lime green, so I guess I get the brand correlation. But still, why a drink?:duh

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm facing the same issue on my mustang. The first owner decided to get the monster energy "M" tinted into the back glass and it looks awful. Im seriously considering replacing the window, getting the tint off without ruining the defroster grid is going to be nearly impossible from all the tint guys ive talked to
It wouldn't be so bad if the angle of the window wasn't so sharp and in my case the tint is deteriorated that it won't peel off, just kinda flakes off in tiny pieces

·
Registered
86 Posts
In the past for anything sticky or gunky like that I've always used methanol for cleaning. It'll make the adhesive stick to itself and with some paper towel or cotton cloth to rub it on should just ball up off the window and not be an issue.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
When i cleaned up my tailgate plate, it had aftermarket black tape pinstripes in the channels and some reflective tape at the bottom, i used stripese paint remover. Did an excellent job removing the pinstripe tape (at first i thought it was paint) and the adhesive residue. I would imagine on old fried tint it would work great. Test a little spot first to see if it'll fog your windows (I'm pretty sure it won't cause it didn't damage the finish on my tailgate plate) but always best to test first) and after it sits for 10 minutes-ish i bet that tint would wipe right off with a wet washcloth. For any sticky residue that might remain after that, WD40 or googone are my go to for removing those. Ya know what else might work... Spray on wallpaper remove. It breaks down the glue to remove wallpaper so why not tint adhesive? I think either the stripese or the wallpaper remover will bleach any color fabric or felt it gets on so be smart and cover up fabrics. Good luck :thumbup let us know how it works out :grin2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts