Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me just first say that Windows 7 is totally awesome and so is its media center. :thumbup

Hardware is:
ATI 600 hybrid tuner, Clear QAM and analog capable, PCI-E, up to date drivers
ATI 4870 graphics card, up to date drivers

I've been trying to get a couple bugs fixed though and even after a lot of troubleshooting, reinstalling, and googling, I haven't found any answers to my questions. So,

1) Why do I have 2 of every channel. The ".5" version of every channel is the one that works strangely. Nothing will show up on 60, but 60.5 works great. But all the TV guide info is for 60 of course, and it's a hassle to go down a .5 to see what is up next.

2) I'm pretty sure that the time is wrong on the Guide. I think it's like 2 hours fast or something. I found no option on where to change time zones or anything.

3) I get a weird flashing on some channels, mostly cartoons. I think it's Media Center trying to correct the contrast or something, but it is fine in my opinion. Here's a quick video. The flashes are quick, barely picked up by the camera, but VERY annoying.

4) I really want to view the Clear QAM channels, and I can get them, but I don't know how to find them. It seems like scanning doesn't find them all. Here's a link to what all I should have, but I can't get anything on 63.4 or 63.5, etc. They're all in the 111-116 range if I remember right.

·
Registered
812 Posts
The channels without numbers are analog channels. If you're scanning off an over-the-air antenna, you're not supposed to recieve any analog channels, since the DTV transition. Does that tuner have 2 coax inputs, once for an antenna, and one for cable? You're probably not going to be able to get digital OTA and clear QAM channels at the same time.

The flashing could be a momentary loss of signal. Since all transmissions with the exception of cable at digital now, you don't get snowy pictures anymore, you get digital distortions or total dropouts. It's either that, or a refresh issue between your display refresh rate and the FPS of the source video.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Chris. I don't think it is capable of getting digital cable channels at all, but it can do QAM. Not sure what the diff is though lol. Here's a link to specs on it if you want to see.

https://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0325256

I kind of doubt that the flash is due to signal loss since it only happens on certain channels, and ONLY analog channels at that. The TV off the same connection in the room is picking them up fine with no flashing. Shouldn't be a refresh rate either, because both are 60hz, it only happens on some channels, and it doesn't happen in a "rhythm" or certain time apart, just random.

Again thanks for the post, maybe you can think of something else now that you see the specs on the card. P.S. I'm never buying Diamond again.

·
Registered
812 Posts
It does do NTSC, ATSC, and Clear-QAM, so you're covered on all bases. NTSC would be for analog cable, ATSC would be for over-the-air digital channels, and Clear-QAM is for unencrypted digital cable channels. The card only has one coax port going into it, so you can only theoretically receive one of those at a time, two if you're connected to a cable tv cable that's broadcasting unencrypted analog and unencrypted Clear-QAM.

Assuming you are indeed connected to a cable line that's broadcasting both NTSC and Clear-QAM singals simultaneously, that may explain why you have duplicates of channels in your guide, one's the analog NTSC version of the channel, and the other's the digital Clear-QAM version of the channel. Digital channels (ATSC and Clear-QAM) use channel numbers with decimal points in them to indicate primary channels and subchannels.

I still can't offer an explanation for the flickering other than you bought an ATI card before consulting with me. The Hauppage HVR-1250 is a much better card and is about the same price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116028&cm_re=hauppauge_1250-_-15-116-028-_-Product

I have one of those, and it works very well for me. Very sensitive reciever, more so than my digital converter box.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally just figured out what was causing the flashing in the video. This more than likely will only affect people with ATI graphics cards. To fix the problem:

1) Right click Desktop and click Catalyst Control Center
2) Enter "Advanced" mode if not already in it
3) In the upper left corner of that window click "Welcome, etc" and change it to "Video"
4) Out of the tabs at the top click "All Settings"
5) Scroll down in that window and deselect "Enable dynamic contrast" Picture below..

The only thing I'm a bit concerned about now is watching youtube videos, they may not be corrected by the graphics card for contrast. Anyway, hopefully this helps someone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts