Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Windows 7

Boot up. Since it has not booted to the desk top it will give me two options. Repair windows or boot normally.

Repair I get a bsod wit the error irql not leas or equal. It is saying a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down.

Boot normally it will flash a bsod and start over like it was restarted.

Installing the windows disk will bsod as well.

If it is needed is it even possible to set up my drives in nother system and not loose any information? Currently I have 4 drives in raid 5.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finally got it to boot into safe mode and load up normally.

So I shut it down till tomorrow. I will restart it again with my external hard drive connected and make a mad dash to back up my data.

I am guessing it is either the ram or CPU I bumped the voltage a touch on both and it loaded up. This is a stock speed system and not over clocked any or ever.

Now to shop for a new system.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You have a software issue, not hardware.

You indicate you tried clean boot or repair but not safe mode.

Repair almost never works and clearly clean boot will not either.

Raid 5 with 4 drives indicates 3 drives striped and 1 online spare.

Right now you are kinda screwed, If you chose to mirror you could mount either drive independently in Linux and port your data but you are striped which changes everything.

SATA, SCSI or ATA? What is the controller?

Does BIOS see each drive?

Does the controller software indicate a clean array?

Model of controller? Embedded on MB or X slot

Can you access drive configuration for raid array prior to boot?

Raid 5 is kinda dicey. I do forensic analysis and data recovery fairly often but usually in negative pressure rooms with exploded arrays and it is expensive usually 1k + per GB.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I walked away for an hour while I was typing my response. If you got it to boot then you should have backed it up Immediately. I hope it boots in the AM but if it doesn't you can spend some time contemplating why you thought turning it off was a good idea. Or i my world, Thanks for the 5K

·
Registered
728 Posts
If you can get back to the repair side of things, I would do a system restore. Could be a bad windows update that screwed you, or driver.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't see how it has a software issue when putting the windows CD in and trying to booot from that will cause a bsod as well.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
In the past when I've had these types of issues it was my RAM, not CPU. CPU would either locked the system completely or not boot at all, never got a chance for the BSOD.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have a software issue, not hardware.

You indicate you tried clean boot or repair but not safe mode.

Repair almost never works and clearly clean boot will not either.

Raid 5 with 4 drives indicates 3 drives striped and 1 online spare.

Right now you are kinda screwed, If you chose to mirror you could mount either drive independently in Linux and port your data but you are striped which changes everything.

SATA, SCSI or ATA? What is the controller?

Does BIOS see each drive?

Does the controller software indicate a clean array?

Model of controller? Embedded on MB or X slot

Can you access drive configuration for raid array prior to boot?

Raid 5 is kinda dicey. I do forensic analysis and data recovery fairly often but usually in negative pressure rooms with exploded arrays and it is expensive usually 1k + per GB.

did not matter what I booted in. every choice = bsod

sata raid 5, onboard sata controller

raid array is healthy

it could sit in bois dooing anything I wanted to change. but once I started to load windows it would bsod.

System was built around 2009/2010 I believe. I think it is time to replace the main components.

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,444 Posts
Hey bud I would look into some of the combo deals NewEgg has.

Here is a good one if you want to go AMD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1935034

I'm more of an Intel guy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1751405

I have beenbuilding super machines for our 2015 CAD users this year on and off at work.

I did a ton or research on boards, RAM, SSDs, GPU, PSU, Processors, and cases before building these. I can help ya put together something nice for a good price if you are looking to build all new.

Just built this liquid cooled system and done testing it yesterday. Next week I am going to clean it up QA and Benchmark it then out the door:

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
water cooling....

man back in the late 90's it was all about peltier cooling, freezers and anything else one could think of.

Good ole celeron 333 or 366's were kicking some pentium's ass in overclocking.

I'm not looking to spend a whole lot. been on newegg for the last 4 hours or so looking at combo systems. I just don't need the newest and greatest stuff since it is mostly a websurfer and some spread sheets. I don't game so that makes it cheaper.

The real question is, stay W7 or go w8.1?

·
15,444 Posts
STAY WITH WINDOWS 7, STAY WITH WINDOWS 7, STAY WITH WINDOWS 7, STAY WITH WINDOWS 7, STAY WITH WINDOWS 7, STAY WITH WINDOWS 7, STAY WITH WINDOWS 7, STAY WITH WINDOWS 7, STAY WITH WINDOWS 7, STAY WITH WINDOWS 7..................................................

If you do decide to go Windows 8 for some reason. This should be ther first thing you download: http://www.classicshell.net/

Oh did I mention STAY WITH WINDOWS 7 :beer

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
must be a echo in here... :toothless

Think I will toss in a 250gb SSD as the main drive and set my old drives up in a raid array to protect data.

Any thoughts on the CPU I posted there? Decent one? Can get a better AMD core for less $$ or the same $$

I feel old since I have been out of this shit so long.

·
15,444 Posts
I would Defiantly go with a good SSD to hold the OS and software all other drives for Storage.

I work off a Samsung 256GB Pro 850 and pull very HIGH read/write speeds. Get a good SSD and you will not have to spend as much money on everything else. Your MB is a 6GB board paired you will be set.

What my drive:

I would get that board on NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...31872&cm_re=ASUS_M5A97-_-13-131-872-_-Product

Asus MBs are the easiest to configure IMO I would stick with them.

Cheaper and free shipping.

I'm not a AMD guy. Might want to compare with this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113333

For the RAM it has a decent timing and Kingston has come around pretty good.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You will be very happy with that SSD.

You know cyber week is coming up in a few weeks if you can hold off. You might find better parts for the same price or cheaper.
Ya, I hate being with out a real computer. Only so much a smart phone can do easily. I have a net-book and that's not much bigger than a smart phone.

I cleaned this one out of dust and found a couple capacitors bulging and starting to leak. It's on borrowed time. Added a little voltage to the memory and CPU. Everything is now backed up. but I'm sure it will die soon.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Salt, the AMD chip you listed will not work in the MB I choose. But it is a little cheaper. The down side is the FX chip I choose which works with that MB it sounds like I need a new video card to make it all work.

off to MB hunt again.

·
Man of endless projects
9,289 Posts
if you use SSD for the OS then make sure u have a backup or 2. a lot of them have a tendency to no longer be detectable for no reason. ive seen a few of them do that and I had one do that

try turning the OC down some and testing the RAM when you can. ive had install discs that have gotten corrupted data and caused BSODs. I have a few computers that randomly get BSOD from the RAM. and ive defianitly seen BSOD due to too high OC. just cause it passes PSOT doesn't mean its stabile enough to run.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
try turning the OC down some and testing the RAM when you can. ive had install discs that have gotten corrupted data and caused BSODs. I have a few computers that randomly get BSOD from the RAM. and ive defianitly seen BSOD due to too high OC. just cause it passes PSOT doesn't mean its stabile enough to run.

I guess I could do that it if was overclocked, but this thing has never been since I got it. Stock speed and voltage.

Thing has been running now for 6+ hours. been using it and the only issue is activx has stopped working which is making FF a little slow at times.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts