Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question... 86 bronco.. will it use the same windshield as the 83-96? Or are there Diff windshields for the years.. I am just looking for maybe a little better sealing one if there is such a thing. Before I start calling around to the window shops for prices.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Better sealing? Whats wrong with the one you have?
Also, should be the same for the F150 of the same years.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the one I got leaks at the top frame.. Better sealing, I guess I should say better seal? Older glass had the black tar crap to seal the windows.. some of the newer windows use a rubber seal. I just wasnt sure if the new 96 style windshieldss are the exact same as the old 86 windshields.. do they have a more reliable seal?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And to clarify, they both seal the same way correct? Only difference is the newer ones have the black around the edge of the glass with the VIN plate cuttout in the wrong place?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Good info on the differences. And yes they all seal the same way with urethane adhesive that goes on the underside of the glass around the perimeter.

If I were you, I would just remove your current glass if there's nothing wrong with it and re-seal. A lot of time on older vehicles that sealing material dries out, cracks, and leaks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve, if my windshield isnt cracked, you think it would be worth the time to remove the chrome strip and recalk around the windshield? Or just have a new windshield installed? I'm not very window savy and dont want to waste my time or make it harder to replace the windshield after I goop it up with window sealer.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so what you're saying is... even if I go to a window shop and have a new windshield installed, its most likely going to still leak?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts