Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's face it, the windshield washer pump system / location used on the Bronco is not one of Ford's "Better Ideas". The pump seal invariably leaks which then destroys the pump and the retaining ring that retains the pump in place is a PIA to deal with. I've tried numerous ways to prevent this from happening, finally gave up and came up with my own "Better Idea", this is how I fixed that problem on my '79. Note: I upgraded my windshield washer tank a while back to the newer style 1 piece windshield washer and coolant overflow tank. (Upgraded Coolant/Washer Fluid Tank for 78-79 Broncos)

This was how I found my pump (which was only about a year old) when I removed it from the tank. As stated, the biggest problem I found on these is that the seal leaks around the motor shaft which allows fluid to get into the motor, the whole thing is shot and all your windshield washer fluid is on the ground.

First I had to figure out how to seal up the hole in the washer fluid tank where the factory windshield pump goes, I ended up using a piece of .050 styrene plastic since it was non-corrosive and easy to work with. The hole was roughly 1 3/8" in diameter, I cut the plastic slightly larger and then slowly filed it down to get a nice fit in the hole at the first step where the retaining ring for the factory pump normally sits.

I then inserted the piece of plastic, held it in place with the old pump retaining ring and sealed it with a bead of RTV. Sorry for the off angle picture but you can see how I retained the plastic disc in the hole, sealed it with clear RTV and it's not leaking.

For the new windshield washer fluid pump I used Trico Pump, P/N 11-100. It is a universal pump kit, kit has a short length of hose, a couple of hose fittings, mounting screws and a couple of the cheap "Scotch Lock" electrical connectors. ANCO has a universal pump as well, P/N is 6501, both pumps run around $10.00 from RockAuto.

I still wanted to retain factory windshield pump electrical connection so I took the electrical connection off the old pump, soldered the electrical leads for the new pump to the electrical connection off the old pump. You will have to pay attention to the polarity of the wires on the new pump as to where they are soldered to the old connector, you can barely see the "+" I scratched near the L/H pin on the old connector in the L/H picture below. I then covered the soldered connections with heat shrink tubing and sealed the area around the connections with RTV to waterproof it. Soldering the new leads onto the pins in the old pump connection was a bit of a PIA as the pins would soak up the heat fast and tend to melt the plastic on the connection so I had to be quick with the solder iron (I use a 25W iron) when doing this. Be careful and take your time if you choose to go this route.

In choosing a location to mount the new pump I wanted to protect the pump from the elements as best as I could but keep it accessible if I ever need to change it. I mounted the new pump (mine is mounted to my OBA manifold bracket), ran the hose connections from the washer fluid tank to the new pump and from the pump to the washer nozzle T, plugged the electrical connections and gave it a test. The first time I tried the new pump the fluid shot up over the windshield because the pressure in the new pump is higher than the factory pump so I had to adjust the wash nozzles down a little.

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
Very nice. I personally have never heard of windshield washer pump issues on these trucks. I have to ask though, why not just swap in a tank from a later model? I think the rangers have square reserviors that also hold coolant overflow. And like most modern cars the pump snaps into the side of the tank with a grommet to seal and is completely external.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hadn't really looked at other tanks, I'm sure if I had dug around at the JY more I would've found something that would've worked. Since I was mostly looking at the Bronco / F-Series vehicles for parts that's what I found and went with when I did the duel tank (wash fluid/coolant overflow) upgrade.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts