Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. here goes. I have an 85 xlt. The wipers froze to the window about a month ago. I turned them on and it sounded like the gear stripped out. Noise but no movement. So yesterday i decided to tackle the problem. Took the motor off of the rear panel and was surprised to find the screw loose that holds the arm on to the motor. :thumbup Cool easy fix, Wrong. I put it back together after tightening the screw in its proper location. Go in to the cab crank it up and turn on the wipers. Yea, They worked. Well for a second that is. They soon began making the same noise and no movement. I believe that I can fix this with out to much problem. The real thing that has me worried is that the wipers will not turn off know! :wtf , They go from high to low but the off position stays on in the low mode:doh0715: . Any suggestions to what this could be? A ground some where perhaps? Help!!! Baked:toothless

I searched, briefly

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
bakednaz said:
O.K. here goes. I have an 85 xlt. The real thing that has me worried is that the wipers will not turn off know! :wtf , They go from high to low but the off position stays on in the low mode:doh0715: . Any suggestions to what this could be? A ground some where perhaps? Help!!! Baked:toothless
About the only way that motor can continue to run is either a bad switch, (probably not the case) or the motor fails to get to the park position. Once the switch is in the off position every path is disabled but the path that allows it to coast back to park. That could be a mechanical problem caused by your frozen wiper.

Circuit diagram and explanation of how it works attached

Attachments

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
OOPs forgot the diagram

Attachments

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
im sorry- but that has got to suck- hopefully its not your dd!
im sorry that i dotn have any info to help you out... but i sympothize.
ace

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve83 said:
Probably just the LACK of load on the new motor is allowing it to overrun the park position. Is the motor shaft still turning? Did the screw come loose again? Is the keyed hole in the arm stripped out? Can you move the wiper arms by hand, either with the motor running, or with the key off?
Steve, I can move the wipers by hand with the vehicle off. I am not shure if the arms are stripped or not. i will not be able to look until monday at the soonest. I will double check to see that they are not stripped and the arm is in its original condition. Baked

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seabronc said:
OOPs forgot the diagram
Thanks for the tech that was a good read and definately taught me about the wiper operation. I am hoping that You and Steve are right and with out the resistance the motor is not stopping in the park position. I will reply when i ge tthe chance to take a look at it. Most likely next monday, baked

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got to working on it today. Pulled the motor off and the bolt was tight. No wear on the lobes. When I started it the WW motor did not run, must have found park. Any way took the motor apart and this is what I found:

This is the gear that moves the wipers you can see the lobe on top. Parts store does not carry just the gear. $60.00 for a new motor. If any one has an old motor that they want to part with let me know. Baked :doh0715:

Here is a couple of the inside for fun:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts