Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85 with a 302 MPFI 4spd manual.

How do I tell if it is a Windsor or Cleveland?

BK85

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I don't think a 302CID was ever made in a Cleveland format. But the difference between the 2 are the windsor has coolant attachment at the intake manifold and the celveland is at the block. Also Windsor has better strip-bars than Cleveland ( Jason's for example );)

·
Registered
471 Posts
It's a windsor, the Cleveland did not go smaller than 351. Also the last year the Cleveland was in a stock Bronco was 79.

There is a 302 boss, but that simply has heads similar to a 351 cleveland.

Edit: I take that back, Ford produced the Cleveland till 82.

·
Registered
62 Posts
yes they did make a 302 cleveland,but it was only produced in australia.it was produced for the aussie falcon,that some of you have grown to love.the 302 aussie cleveland is a destroked 351,and every thing is interchangable.the windsor and early clevelands do share the same bellhousing bolt pattern so there is no real problems for conversions.there are some odd castings floating around that were special packages,but these are rare and if you were to search these out,it would be next to impossible to find any.:beer

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
It's a windsor, the Cleveland did not go smaller than 351. Also the last year the Cleveland was in a stock Bronco was 79.

that was a 351M

·
Registered
62 Posts

yes it would be a windsor if it is the original factory fit.
the 302 boss is in fact a windsor block with the actual cleveland heads,special cr pistons and a special designed manifold.
highly thought of in australia.
and yes the cleveland was re introduced,but then it was discarded in favour of the windsor efi until the hybrid series came out.the next stable of engines are new age, high tech,new designs, from scratch.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
Yep in the Broncos was the 351m, but I that was limited to 80 & 81 model years if I remember right.

A 302C would be completely custom mod in a Bronco, and I'm sure it would set the owner back a pretty penny just in shipping from Aus.
78's & 79's came with 351M's and 400's. Both based on the Cleveland design but not considered "Clevelands".

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yep in the Broncos was the 351m, but I that was limited to 80 & 81 model years if I remember right.

A 302C would be completely custom mod in a Bronco, and I'm sure it would set the owner back a pretty penny just in shipping from Aus.
you are sadly mistaken.my bronco pictured in my avatar is the 351 cleveland that the falcons and the us mustangs used.the 351 was actually originally imported from the us to be fitted to the falcon range.australia just destroked the original american 351.only changes were the crank,the rods to suit and the heads,which are what we here in australia call closed chamber.they are aproximately 54cc.these are the ones that are used for hotups to give a high compression to be used in 351 applications.giving about a 10/1 cr with standard 351 pistons.
the 351c and the 351m are basically the same for physical fit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have an 85 with a 302 MPFI 4spd manual.

How do I tell if it is a Windsor or Cleveland?

BK85
after getting all involved with the posts that were posted,i must say that the windsor engine has got a separate timing cover and water pump assembly,where as the cleveland and the m series have the timing cover cast intregal with the block,but the water pump still bolts up to the blocks timing cover.also the outer head bolts are unique running along the outer edge where the exaust ports are where the exaust bolts onto the head.
windsor exaust manifold bolts are of a horizontal pattern across the port,where as the cleveland exaust manifold bolts are of a diagonnal pattern across the exaust ports.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts