Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 78 F250, my drivers side wing is cracked, I want to replace the window itself as the frame is good but the glass is bad. I got the window out of anouther trashed frame. What I am trying to figure out is what does the glass stay in the frame with. The new windows frame was filled with like 2 part epoxie type stuff, sure it was a factory seal just old and rock hard. Thought about some black silicone but dont know if it will hold up for long. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
i know on the 80+ you pull off the door panel. Remove two or three bolts. roll the window down. The frame and window should pull out. Move the weatherstripping out of the way there should be two or so bolts on top of the frame to remove. And you just transfer the vent window on the new frame by reversing the process. The glass stays with the metal bracket for the glass.

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts
yo,

Here ya go;
Vent Window Parts Break-Out Diagram in 78-79 w/Nomenclature
Source: by Ford via broncocity.com

Vent Window Disassembly in 78-96; "...The vent window frame is very easy to remove from the door once the door panel is off. Roll the glass all the way down, and remove the 2 phillips screws from the upper front edge of the door frame. Remove the 11mm (7/16") bolt from the inner door skin, just rearward of the divider bar and about 6" down from the glass. (Do not remove the 8mm - 5/16" bolt if present.) Pull the rubber glass run down from where the divider meets the top of the door frame & rearward out of the back of the divider. Tilt the vent window frame rearward to remove it from the channel in the door's upper forward edge, and rotate the front of the vent window frame inward 90 degrees. Tilt the frame back and slide it up & out of the door. Reverse to install..."

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/687495

Vent Window Removal in 73-79
Source: by Indybronco (Lula Mae) at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172098

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, but I already have the new glass out of the its frame, its frame was trashed, my trucks window is cracked but the frame is good. Thats why Im trying to find out what to use to reinstall the glass into the frame. Didnt think silicone would hold it. Guess Ill call a glass comapny and see what they say about it. Just figured many of you had done some thing similar, but Im finding out most just change the frame and all.

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts
yo, OK; this is what Ford has; from 1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty and Bronco Workshop Manual
Window Glass, Vent
Removal

Open front door vent window.

Push the front door vent window (21402) from frame using Glass and Channel Removal Tool 2900 or equivalent.

Clean the front door vent window of tape and sealer.

Installation

Apply sealer to the front door vent window frame.

Install front door vent window and new tape into front door vent window frame using Glass and Channel Removal Tool 2900 or equivalent.

Trim the excess tape around the front door vent window frame and clean the front door vent window and surrounding area.

Of course Ford doesn't spec the sealer in that section; so a slowwww run-through the Manual ends up w/;

Weatherstrip Adhesive E8AZ-19552-A or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESB-M2G14-A is a quick-drying, strong adhesive designed to hold weatherstripping to doors, bodies, cowl ventilators and the surrounding metal. Windows and windshields that are set in rubber can be effectively sealed against leakage by flowing adhesive into affected areas.
Clean all grease, dirt and old sealer from surfaces, and wash the surfaces thoroughly with a cloth moistened with a suitable commercial cleaner. For best results, apply a medium coat of adhesive to both surfaces, allow it to dry until tacky and then press both surfaces firmly together.

Liquid Butyl Sealer C9AZ-19554-B (Black) or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESB-M4G162-A does not run, is fast drying, and remains semi-elastic. The sealer can be used for seam sealing in such areas as the floorpan, wheelhouse, dash panel, running board, door openings and drip rails. It can also be used to seal outside moulding clip holes, and for windshield and rear window installation.

& since I was there; this is good too for TG Glass and other glass WS:
Silicone Lubricant C0AZ-19553-AA (jelly) or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESR-M13P4-A is to be used on the door and window weatherstrips. It is recommended that silicone lubricant be applied to the weatherstrips at every lubrication period. Its use makes the doors easier to close, avoids weatherstrip squeaks, retards weatherstrip wear due to chafing between the door glass upper frame and the weatherstrip, and helps to retain door window alignment by reducing friction between the glass frame and rubber weatherstrip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Miesk, you always come up with these ford spec sheets. So weatherstip sealant will seal it, then thats what Ill be using. Just got to find it in black not yellow.
Again thank you

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts
yo LC,

I use Permatex® Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive; it meeets the Ford spec ESB-M2G14-A

#81850; 5 fl. oz. boxed tube
3 Brand is ok too, but they never got to listimng the Ford specs.

The Adhesive can also be used in other applications as well; do a Google on the spec # ESB-M2G14-A

and;
Body Maintenance
Regular body maintenance preserves the vehicle's appearance during the life of the vehicle. The following steps are suggested as a guide for regular body maintenance:

Vacuum interior thoroughly and wash vehicle.

Check all openings for water leaks and seal where necessary.

Cement all usable, loose weatherstrips, using Weatherstrip Adhesive E8AZ-19552-A or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESB-M2G14-A.

Replace all door weatherstrips that are damaged or worn.

Apply Silicone Lubricant C0AZ-19553-AA or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESR-M13P4-A to the weatherstripping.

Replace all cracked, fogged or chipped glass.

Align hood and doors if necessary.

Inspect windshield wiper blades and replace if necessary.

Tighten scuff plate and garnish moulding screws. Refer to Section 01-05.

Clean seats, door trim panels and headlining.

Apply touch-up paint to chipped or scratched areas.

Drain holes should be cleared periodically

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went and picked up 2 tubes of that stuff last nite, got a full weather strip kit from bronco grave yard. So all those little leaks and such round windows and doors are quieted down. I am not try to jack my own thread but what does ford call for for seam sealer they use on the body panels, my firewall to floor pan seal is letting water in and the a few other spots. Thank you again, no one else has been able to give a definate answer to the window sealer.

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts
I went and picked up 2 tubes of that stuff last nite, got a full weather strip kit from bronco grave yard. So all those little leaks and such round windows and doors are quieted down. I am not try to jack my own thread but what does ford call for for seam sealer they use on the body panels, my firewall to floor pan seal is letting water in and the a few other spots. Thank you again, no one else has been able to give a definate answer to the window sealer.
yo LC,
NP..
Seam Sealer TA-2 Fast-curing
Permanently flexible
Excellent bond strength
Paintable in 10 minutes
Will not shrink, crack or peel
Bonds to all primed or painted metals, and most automotive plastics
Heavy bodied, non-sag formula
Immediately bakeable
Typical applications include: Duplicating factory look on: standing cosmetic seams, truck bed seams, tooled door skin seams, floor pans, core supports. Anywhere a non-sag, cosmetic seam sealer is required.
Available in 10.3 fl. oz. (305 ml) aluminum caulk tubes

SEALER SPECS:
Item; Sealer Code#; Container; Ford Spec # Recommended BrandBody Schutz Spray Putty 1; 400g; Aerosol Pack; 3M Part No. 8883
Body Schutz Spray Putty 1 1 Liter Spray Pack 3M Part No. 6923
Black PVC Adhesive Tape (1-In. Width) 2 50m Roll ESB-M3G-10A
Black PVC AdhesiveTape (2-In. Width) 3 50m Roll ESB-M3G-10A �
Drip Check Sealer 4 150m Tube � 3M Part No. 1918
Metal Joint Sealer 5 300ml Cartridge ESB-M4G-133A 3M Part No. 5528
2695 Clear Sealer 6 500ml Can ESB-FM2G-1022A Beta 2695

3M has changed part numbers since 96 or so; so
3M™ All-Around Autobody Sealant, 08500, 1/10 gal cartridge
White, easy to apply sealant that is used for sealing interior and exterior autobody joints and seams. Applies easily and can be smoothed to a featheredge with a wet finger and sets to a firm, tough, rubber-like water resistant bead.

This sealant can be painted in 30 minutes, has easy water cleanup and will not harm paint.

Stock Number: 62553352196
UPC: 00 051135 08500 4

or
3M™ Flexiclear™ Body Seam Sealer, 08405, 1/10 gal cartridge
High solids clear joint and seam sealer designed to seal interior and exterior joints and seams. Adheres well to clean, bare metal, primed metal and painted surfaces. Clear, non-yellowing. Excellent tooling properties.

Here is the 3M Seal Sealer site

Many other Brands are available too

1 - 9 of 9 Posts