Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the Bronco scene, but I've always loved the 78-79 body style, and I'm thinking about getting one. My question- I've noticed a lot of you guys are running 351/400M motors, and I haven't seen a lot of Windsors. How come? I'm a mustang guy, I'm used to 302-427 ci Windsor engines that make lots of power. I assume there's a torque difference? Something else? I'd love to learn, the '78 that I'm looking at has a 351M that's not running. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
a Windsor will probably cost less to build up, and there is a bigger after-market parts selection for it. it's also a little lighter.. oh, and the transmission mounting patterns aren't the same. you also might be able to rev a windsor (or 302) up a bit higher as well.

i've heard of people getting 400+horsepower out a 400m without too much trouble though (compression, good heads, good cam, intake, exhaust etc)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need the crank and pistons for a 400 to get the 4" stroke. Otherwise the 351M and 400 are the same motor. The answer is "very easy".
Well I was going to take it apart and rebuild it anyways, that makes the 400M an easy choice. Any advantage to doing this over a 408 Windsor? I have no clue what the aftermarket is like for these things.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
P.A.W. {performance automotive wholesale} used to sell complete rotating assembly's for the 400 with an option for arp rod bolts and ballancing. As far as intake manifolds go, You can get intake manifold spacers and run a 351 Cleveland intake manifold. CHI or Parker Funnelweb might be making a open plenum intake for the 351m-400 but you have to check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts