Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,

My buddy has an explorer witha 4.0 that is actually pretty nice . he is a full time student and just got his PHD , he is also not a car guy at all.

we went to move his exploder in preperation of his move and I notice that the coolant is damn near clear , very little green to it . So I am expecting the worst. I tried to fill it up and it was draining from a freeze plug , front passenger side. I got that fixed , go to add more coolant and then it starts draining from the water pump like crazy.

Obviously he messed up good and proper parking it full of water , but I would like to try get back on the road if possible for him , it will help him alot.

I have fired it up and it runs pretty damn strong , with the exception of spraying coolant all over the place from the water pump.

I have never been down this path before , but I guess my question is . Is this even worth the effort ? Obviously there has been some freeze damage in there.

Could the freeze plug giving out have saved his ass ? or is this engine a lost cause ? I would hate to change the water pump only to find out the engine is toast , anyone ever seen an engine freeze that didnt totally ruin the engine ?

Thanks,

·
Registered
829 Posts
If the engine fires up, isn't knocking over the place, and a freeze plug popped like it was supposed to then I don't think there was 'obviously freeze damage'.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
Only way to find out is to keep fixing the leaks until you can pressure test it. Or you could compression test it, but that won't tell the whole story.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only way to find out is to keep fixing the leaks until you can pressure test it. Or you could compression test it, but that won't tell the whole story.
Thats kinda what I figured , its hard to pressure test a cooling system with several leaks.

Cool man , thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Maybe new engines are different but when you crack a block because it froze you sure knew it. It was very obvious.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
I guess it depends on what it's worth. If it's a rusted out pile, and worth less than it will cost to fix I would say don't bother. That is highly unlikely though, and if 100-200 bucks will fix it, it'd be worth the effort.

Since it runs, sounds like it didn't do any irreversible damage to it.

KC

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
it depends on the block design

they are not really freeze plugs, they are core plugs to get the sand out after they cast them and if it freezes up hard, something hass to give
pretty amazing the power that freezing water has!

I bought a boat with a small block chevy v8 that froze
it ran absolutely perfect, sounded great,awesome oil pressure, BUT, it filled the engine oil with water

I pulled it apart and the lifter galley looked like someone whacked it with an axe and split the block open on the inside allowing water into the oil
it also cracked the heads ,and broke out the side of the block near a core plug
behind a engine mount
but there was zero antifreeze in this engine when it froze ,only water

maybe your buddy will get lucky
how low did the coolant test to?

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,680 Posts
the donated Bronco had busted a freeze plug by the time I got it and it still ran fine, until it ran dry. :brownbag

I would think it should be fine... but the major leak from the water pump may be a sign of further damage. hard to say on that one until you get in... whether you can just replace a gasket or need to replace a warped water pump and casing. still... if it's as nice as you imply and he's not a car guy, I'd venture it's worth the effort to at least take it off and check it out for warping, cracking, etc. the rest should be fine if it's been running... as others have said.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess it depends on what it's worth. If it's a rusted out pile, and worth less than it will cost to fix I would say don't bother. That is highly unlikely though, and if 100-200 bucks will fix it, it'd be worth the effort.KC
Yeah , its in good shape for a 92 , only has 110k on it . Like I said , it runds strong just pisses water everywhere right now.

I bought a boat with a small block chevy v8 that froze
it ran absolutely perfect, sounded great,awesome oil pressure, BUT, it filled the engine oil with water

I pulled it apart and the lifter galley looked like someone whacked it with an axe and split the block open on the inside allowing water into the oil
it also cracked the heads ,and broke out the side of the block near a core plug
behind a engine mount
but there was zero antifreeze in this engine when it froze ,only water
Yeah , thats what worries me is an internal crack that I find out about afterwards.

I have a boat as well and I am on a boating forum , and every spring there are countless posts about peeps having thier oil get filled with water. It sounds like this lifter galley area is usually the place it cracks , I have heard that many times about frozen blocks.

the donated Bronco had busted a freeze plug by the time I got it and it still ran fine, until it ran dry. :brownbag

I would think it should be fine... but the major leak from the water pump may be a sign of further damage. hard to say on that one until you get in... whether you can just replace a gasket or need to replace a warped water pump and casing. still... if it's as nice as you imply and he's not a car guy, I'd venture it's worth the effort to at least take it off and check it out for warping, cracking, etc. the rest should be fine if it's been running... as others have said.
I think I will just plan on changing the water pump and see what happens , the exploder is nice enough to at least try that . A new engine on the other hand and this beast will be going to the dump.

thanks again fellas :thumbup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts