Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, my wiper motor went bad so i went to a JY and pulled one off of an old ford truck there, well, that proved to be harder than i had thought it would be, and i ended up having to tear some body panels off that ford to get the motor out... i would prefer to not have to do that and bend the wiper arms up and shit while trying to replace the one on my bronco lol, so is there some sort of trick that i missed when taking them off? or was the nut holding the wiper motor to the arms just on there really tight and it shouldn't be as big of a problem as it was? i dunno tho, cus it was a pain in the ass...

any input is appreciated, sorry if that just seems like a jumbled mess, lol, thanks

james

·
Banned
38,667 Posts
The motor can be changed by just unplugging it, removing the 3(?) mounting screws, pulling it out as far as it goes, and then removing the clip on the shaft that retains the 2 wiper arm pushrods. The rods slide off, and the motor is free.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hm... was there ever a model of truck that wouldn't have had the clip holding the push rod onto the motor? because the truck i got it from in the junkyard had a nut on the back of it, and it did not wanna come off, i guess ill find out tomorow when i start to take the one off my bronco, i need to get that bitch up and running, and wiping :p lol... thanks for the info

james

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have run into the same prob on my 84... removed the motor bolts and tried to pull... nothing... removed screws inside engine compartment for cowl and lifted it slightly to see that the motor is attached to the wiper arm assemblt by a nut... looks like you will have to take off the hood the remove the cowl and then remove the nut that is holding the motor shaft.. my wipers were not working when I bought the truck and I didnt think it was going to be a big deal.. boy was I wrong.. dreading the day I decide to replace it...let me know how yours goes when you do replace it so I will know what I'm getting into

·
Banned
38,667 Posts
Yeah, ONE end of the lever is held on the motor by a nut. Leave that alone. Keep working the motor around and you can get to the clip at the OTHER end, where the wiper pushrods attach.

Here's a BIG HINT: You have to MOVE THE WIPERS ON THE WINDSHIELD to get the motor to move out of the cowl. :twak :shocked ;) :p :D

·
Super Moderator
14,742 Posts
Are all of these motors setup the same way? Mine is on it's last leg and I tried to remove it yesterday, no luck. I had the wiper arms off, the cowl loosened and was able to remove the three bolts from inside the engine bay, but the motor would not budge.

·
Super Moderator
14,742 Posts
So as long as I get those three screws out and take that clip off I should be able to remove the motor, right? I figured it would at least budge a little bit with the bolts out. thanks for the info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts