Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Custom 460 C6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a copper wire coming out of the heater/vent box on the passenger side. It goes up under the foam (I’m guessing) gasket inside the box (to the left in the pic). Is this something needed? I have no idea what the PO was doing with this. Heater/vent functions seem to work just fine right now.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Road surface Bumper Fender

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Custom 460 C6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it might be at first as well. It's not. It's solid copper. No casing. Heavy Gage. Heavy enough to hold shape when bent. It's single strand not bundled wire. I was planning on cutting it off. I just want to make sure the PO didn't do something weird with a needed part.

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 mostly stock
1,913 Posts
I know you said solid, but my thought was possibly a capillary tube for an auxiliary oil pressure gauge or something, if the ends are pinched it may appear solid.

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
2,000 Posts
It looks to be a standard residential grade electrical wiring. The plastic sheathing is white and they will hold shape when bent. It could be a ground wire or it could be a pull wire, maybe to a damper door?

Easy way to tell if it is hooked up to a grounded location is to take a volt meter and put one probe on the end we see in the picture and the other probe onto a known ground location and check for continuity. If you have continuity they is is grounded. No way to know what it was a ground for though....

On any event I would cut it off and get rid of it. If it is needed then I would replace it with automotive wiring that is flexible and intended for automotive applications....

Just my 2 cents worth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts