Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Ive just swapped in a fresh 460 into my 79. Its got a fairly new solenoid and a brand new starter. The problem is, when I hit the key it turns right over and normally cranks. But once it turns over that first time Im pretty sure its shorting out. The positive and negative cables to the battery are both hot, and the negative will smoke if you hold the key long enough. I had a problem before the swap with a slow drain on my battery, and always unhooked the hot cable when it was parked but now it seems to be more of an issue. Any ideas on where to start? Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what should I ground the battery to? The battery negative is bolted onto the engine, which is where it was originally on the 351. Should I ground to the frame?

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Nope its fine on the block, Is the cable thick enough? ground from firewall to block, Block to frame. Make sure all connections are good and clean, I had the same problem(cable smoking ect. really hot)

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I'm a believer there can't be too many grounds. However, IIRC there should be 3 grounds. Clean those up really good, replace the wires if need be and make sure there's no paint interference.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Tell us about the 460? You might have too much motor for the stock starter.....

A PMGR from a 1993+ 460 f-series works better with higher compression engines. It will take a little wiring know how, but is a bolt in swap.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
So, Ive just swapped in a fresh 460 into my 79. Its got a fairly new solenoid and a brand new starter. The problem is, when I hit the key it turns right over and normally cranks. But once it turns over that first time Im pretty sure its shorting out. The positive and negative cables to the battery are both hot, and the negative will smoke if you hold the key long enough. I had a problem before the swap with a slow drain on my battery, and always unhooked the hot cable when it was parked but now it seems to be more of an issue. Any ideas on where to start? Thanks

the problem is resistance, and the resistance is whats making the terminals hot (resistance with a load always creates heat) clean the terminals really good, or replace the terminals (or the whole cables) and it should fix the problem. if there is still a problem, feel all you're connections and wires, until you find another one which gets hot after cranking.. then clean/replace that as well.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
I'd start by removing the spark plugs and run the starter. Just to make sure it spins freely and eliminate something in the starter engagement, flywheel, clutch cover hung up on the bellhousing, that kind of thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts