Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so it rained alot here in sacramento over the last couple days and there was some flooding on the roads so me and my buddy went out to one of our local spots to go check out some creeks knowing that they were high. we locked the hubs and put it in 4-high and got through the first creek. then made it all the way to the second one. all of a sudden as i was cruisin around in the muddy field i heard something ticking directly underneath the manual shifter for 4 wheel. i look under there and noticed practically every wire running to the back of the bronco got wrapped up in the front driveline! they all ripped out of there homes. Now my brake lights are out, my fuel guage is out, my rear anti-lock light stays on, and my rear window wont budge. I don't know what else might be wrong right now cuz i just parked it in front of my house last night and went to sleep. i have a chiltons cd and it doesn't help me at all. i tried searching for any of the problems i have but can't seem to find any related problems. could someone help me out? i got to go to work tomorrow and i definitely need my brake lights and fuel guage working. Anyone?

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
either get a replacment harness...or reattach one by one...and make sure to zip tie the harness back against the frame rail....

·
Registered
610 Posts
sounds like you need a wiring diagram and some new wire...pair of crimpers and some connectors....

if the autozone site was up i would send you the link to the wiring diagrams... www.autozone.com/repairinfo.htm

when it comes up go there, choose your bronco and look at the wiring diagrams...heck while you're there register...then you dont have to input the data every time... not the best but a good quick reference. i've seen the chasis wiring diagrams they have on there. they are not too bad

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
broncoshaveapersonal said:
okay so it rained alot here in sacramento over the last couple days and there was some flooding on the roads so me and my buddy went out to one of our local spots to go check out some creeks knowing that they were high. we locked the hubs and put it in 4-high and got through the first creek. then made it all the way to the second one. all of a sudden as i was cruisin around in the muddy field i heard something ticking directly underneath the manual shifter for 4 wheel. i look under there and noticed practically every wire running to the back of the bronco got wrapped up in the front driveline! they all ripped out of there homes. Now my brake lights are out, my fuel guage is out, my rear anti-lock light stays on, and my rear window wont budge. I don't know what else might be wrong right now cuz i just parked it in front of my house last night and went to sleep. i have a chiltons cd and it doesn't help me at all. i tried searching for any of the problems i have but can't seem to find any related problems. could someone help me out? i got to go to work tomorrow and i definitely need my brake lights and fuel guage working. Anyone?
I feel for ya, man. Same thing happened to me last summer after I swapped in another E4OD and a manual t-case. I left a wiring harness bracket dangling and thought the manual t-case was in 2wd (didn't have the shift linkage, so I used a wrench to turn the little cam shaft). Turns out it was in 4wd and while doing 60 mph on the highway, the front driveshaft caught the wiring harness bracket, which in turn caused all the wires, the trans shift cable and even the brake lines to wrap themselves around the front driveshaft. The event sounded like a loud bang and the truck went immediately dead smack dab in the middle of an 8-lane highway with all these crazy Dallas drivers. The whole wiring that goes to the rear of the truck got ripped out of the main wiring/fuse box under the hood. There was no way I had the skill, knowledge, time and patience to do it myself, so I towed the truck to two shops and when they looked at the whole mess they refused to work on it. Said it was too big a job and to just claim the truck as totalled on my insurance. I finally found a shop willing to do it - about $1200 and 3 weeks of labor it was fixed.

Anyway, since you said you have a manual tranny, guess you don't have to worry about any auto electronic wiring issues and MLPS. Hopefully, yours isn't as bad as mine was - good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts