Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a drivetrain swap (motor only actually, not trans too) from a '93 F150 w/5.0EFI/AOD into an '84 Bronco and have some questions

We yanked the engine (5.0 EFI) and trans out of our '93 F150 donor truck over the weekend along with the majority of the external wiring harness, the only exception being the taillight wiring, nothing pulled from inside the cab yet, also pulled all fuel lines and will be getting a gas tank from a 91-96 Bronco(rear F150 tank won't fit under the Bronco). Some of the things that come to mind immediately are:

What about internal wiring? How much of the internal wiring from the '93 cab do we need to pull? All of it?

How do we address the gauges in this swap? Are the '84 gauges going to co-operate with the '93s sending units or does this get taken care of with the answer to question 1? I'm too dumb to understand how the computer from the '93 can communicate with the '84s gauge cluster. Are we possibly looking at by-passing the '84 gauges altogether and going with an aftermarket set/cluster/pod for simplicities sake?

What do we do about things like the headlight/turn signal/parking light connections? The '84 connections are different so can we just cut them off the Bronco and splice them onto the '93 wiring harness?

How will the computer deal with the fact that we aren't using the AOD, or does it care since it's not an E4OD?

How about the rear ABS (I think the '93 has it), will that jack with the computer in any way?

Thanks,
Mike

·
The Anti Yam!
22,681 Posts
Um.... why are you messing with the lights and turn signals for an EFI swap.:shrug They are not connected to the computer.

With good wiring diagrams for both vehichles you just wire the EFI harnes from the doner vehichle to the 84's existing power harnes. The EFI harness is a seperate entaty.

If you are shure the doner vehichle hase an AOD then the computer should not care. AOD's are not computer controlled.

But I thout in 93 they ran E4Od's, but I can easaly be wrong about that.:toothless

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Um.... why are you messing with the lights and turn signals for an EFI swap. They are not connected to the computer.
Ignorance on my part, sorry. :(

If you are shure the doner vehichle hase an AOD then the computer should not care. AOD's are not computer controlled.
Oh I'm sure alright, had a guy here over the weekend who thought like you and was disappointed to find it was only an AOD instead of an E4OD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts