Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'd like to wire up the "theft" light in the gauge cluster to blink when the key is off. Blinking when the key is off is the easy part.

Anyone got a wire diagram showing me where that wire ends up?

(i.e. "anyone got a diagram that shows the anti-theft module in some detail?")

I'm pretty sure Ford uses a different name for it but you know what I mean.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry no diagram but when I had my 89 LX5.0 mustang back in the 90's I used a blinking red led on the dash and wired it to a manual switch.

If you cant find the correct diagram or rather go simple you could probably put a blinking LED behind that theft script and hard wire it to constant on and have it switch off when an accessory circuit comes on.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I need to :

-find the pinout for the connector it's on
-find the empty spot for the theft light bullb
-verify that by following the paper circuit
-add a pin to the plug (like shown in your fuel module pic)
-wire it to do what I want

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can skip the first one. You'll find the second when you look at the film circuit - the bulb positions & many of the terminals are labelled.
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/323181
I probably would have figured that out, ya know, being literate and all:toothless

I won't have the cluster out for another few weeks. I'm hoping to do the wiring for the dummy light when I install my A-pillar gauges (which I already hate, but the dash real-estate where the gauges were was too valuable so onto the A-pillar they go) and install some switches and a digital voltmeter/ammeter in the bezel. I'm going to go all LED for the dash lights at that time (wouldn't want the theft light to kill the battery) and install some sort of "hidden" switch that keeps the theft light on in run and keeps the starter from cranking. It'll probably be something non-nonsensical and tied into something else (e.g you can't start the truck unless the HVAC blower is on).

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I probably would have figured that out, ya know, being literate and all:toothless

I won't have the cluster out for another few weeks. I'm hoping to do the wiring for the dummy light when I install my A-pillar gauges (which I already hate, but the dash real-estate where the gauges were was too valuable so onto the A-pillar they go) and install some switches and a digital voltmeter/ammeter in the bezel. I'm going to go all LED for the dash lights at that time (wouldn't want the theft light to kill the battery) and install some sort of "hidden" switch that keeps the theft light on in run and keeps the starter from cranking. It'll probably be something non-nonsensical and tied into something else (e.g you can't start the truck unless the HVAC blower is on).
For some reason LEDs don't work right for the warning lights in the cluster.
When I did my conversion some of the lights stayed on, some didn't light at all and the ones that did work had color distortion, red lights were pink and orange ones were green.
They do work great for the main cluster BUT the 194 led replacements are to tall. I used the 161 LED replacements, same amount of light just a shorter bulb

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For some reason LEDs don't work right for the warning lights in the cluster.
When I did my conversion some of the lights stayed on, some didn't light at all and the ones that did work had color distortion, red lights were pink and orange ones were green.
They do work great for the main cluster BUT the 194 led replacements are to tall. I used the 161 LED replacements, same amount of light just a shorter bulb

Odd, anyone have any more info about that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts