Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wiring up some side marker lights (single-filament) on the N-Fab Nerf Bars on my Tacoma. I figure maybe it'll keep me from running over the assholes who like to hang out in my blind spots when I change lanes. Plus, I think it'll look cool.

Anyhow, here's the situation: I'm looking to wire these lights up like a typical corner marker lamp. In other words, with the parking lights off, they should flash with the turn signals. They should light with the parking lights as well, and flash opposite the turn signals when the parking lights are lit. These are incandescent bulbs, not LEDs, so polarity is not an issue. I've found this diagram online:

But it seems to me that being wired this way (with a "floating ground") would cause the parking lights to light with the turn signals, and vice-versa. My thought was to wire them up on each ground, but I'm not sure whether that would work or not.

Another thing to note is that, on Toyotas, the turn signals are dedicated, i.e., single-filament bulbs. So are the parking lights. I'd imagine the concept would work just the same as the diagram above (which shows a dual-filament bulb), but again -- not sure. I've wired lights this way before, but on a dual-filament system. Maybe I'm just making this all too complicated...any advice/ideas?

EDIT: Diagram borrowed from Daniel J. Stern.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,511 Posts
The only way to find out if that is correct or not is to set up a test harness and temporarily connect it to the Tacoma's turn signal circuits. Bear in mind that with more bulbs, you'll need an electronic flasher; the circuits should be protected with an automotive circuit breaker so that you don't run through a bunch of fuses.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
That diagram isn't going to give you what you want. Whenever the running lights are on, both filaments from the stock light are going to be on, as well as the new marker. It'll probably cause the turn filament to burn out as soon as you use it being that it's going to get 12v from two places which will likely over load it. I can't think of a way to give you both functions without adding more components.

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The only way to find out if that is correct or not is to set up a test harness and temporarily connect it to the Tacoma's turn signal circuits. Bear in mind that with more bulbs, you'll need an electronic flasher; the circuits should be protected with an automotive circuit breaker so that you don't run through a bunch of fuses.
That's what I'll probably end up doing. Something as simple as wedging a wire between the bulb and plug on each would do the trick, I'd imagine. That way I'd be able to see what's happening with the turn signals, parking lights, and side markers all at the same time.

I know the simplest fix would be to get dual-intensity side markers, but seeing as how they're $20 each as opposed to $4 each, that'll have to wait.

I was checking the specs of the marker lights I'm using, and they're rated at .27A @ 14V. Using 3 lights on each side (call it overkill or hillbilly-wannabe-truckdriver, I don't care...), that's .81A on each side for the turn signals, or 1.62A altogether for the parking lights. I'll have to check my fuses as well as the amp draw for my factory lights, but I'm thinking I'll be alright with the OEM fuses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts