Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up this morning to find my bronco had no power, to anything. It appears a wire which connects to the starter solenoid has shorted out somewhere...

It is a Black wire with a Orange stripe off of the starter solenoid.

Since this wire gets wrapped up in lots of sleeving I cant track it down easily. Can someone look up where this wire goes to so I can simply cut and replace it rather than hunting down where on the truck its touching?

Thanks a bunch, I have a lack of wiring diagrams over here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will turn over but nothing else has power... so basically the spark plugs arnt firing, only the starter is turning. No lights, no radio, no power to anything at all.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Thick wire? The only black with orange stripe wires I remember were the 2 that go to the stock alternator. Several things came off them though. That being said my wiring has been fubared since before I bought the truck so there might be some other wire that has long since been replaced by a different color...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not all that thick actually.

I can see where it caught fire and burned itself in half. When I cut it and twisted it back together all the lights and power came on until it caught fire again.

I am 100% that my problem is a short, I just need to know where the other end of that wire goes so I can replace the whole thing.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
It is a Black wire with a Orange stripe off of the starter solenoid.

Since this wire gets wrapped up in lots of sleeving I cant track it down easily. .
Pantsman is right

it and the other 10 gauge orange and black wire come off the POS stock 2G 65 amp alternator and those two poor 10 gauge wires supply the ENTIRE truck:shocked

Best be finding it's partner and getting it back in the game.

BTW, after you unwrap that tape you're halfway done what is required to convert to a Taurus 3G 130 amp alternator..........and curing all that ills your 80-86;)

Never had a wiring problem since the 3G

Sixlitre (also an 86er)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow, 2 10g wires. Thats just wrong. Ill slap on a 9 gauge wire or something for now to see if that gets me on the road again.

Right to the alternator huh? Thats not too far to track down where the hell its getting grounded.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
wow, 2 10g wires. Thats just wrong. Ill slap on a 9 gauge wire or something for now to see if that gets me on the road again.

Right to the alternator huh? Thats not too far to track down where the hell its getting grounded.
On my 86' I ran two "O" gauge ground wires and cured quite a few problems. One from neg clamp to frame, second from that same frame point to the engine block.

Many problems solved, but not nearly all the problems that $35.00 Taurus 3rd generation 130 amp alternator solved.

They're a virtual bolt-on for us V-belters

Sixlitre

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any more info on that alternator swap? My wiring is Fubar'd and I accidentally broke the connector off the alternator, aka, time for a new one.

Ill get a pic in a sec

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pictures didnt come out so here is a paint drawing:

The yellow wires come from the connector below the starter solenoid. The Orange wire gets hooked up to the solenoid. This is the wire that burnt.

Now Why do the yellow wires go into that fuse link with the orange one? This is making it so I cant just cut the two ends and replace it.

Also, I only have one orange wire connected to the starter solenoid. What was the second one supposed to connect two? Im sure the one you were talking about is the one hand spliced after that fuse link...

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Any more info on that alternator swap? My wiring is Fubar'd and I accidentally broke the connector off the alternator, aka, time for a new one.

Ill get a pic in a sec
http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=74

Tons of write ups on 3G conversions

I'll do a search later in the day for you (snow blowing right now) and get you a pile more 3G threads mafdark.

It really is easy as pie, all you need, that you can't get at NAPA or the junkyard is this;

http://www.pa-performance.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=73

Sixlitre

1 - 12 of 12 Posts