Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I just rigged up a homemade lightbar for over the cab. Now i'm trying to figure out how many lights to run and battery power, alt, ect. So I was originally goin to run 6 lights up top and 4 on a bullbar that is being built to eventually mount over my winch in the front. I'm now thinking that might be overkill. So I;m wondering how many you guys would mount. 4 up top and 4 on the bumper? Or 6 top and 2 front? or 4 and 2? i don't know. I also want 2 mounted inside a tube bumper on the rear eventually.

I'm thinking 100w or 150w lights (i can get them in bulk for cheap).

Now i'm also going to have a winch wired up. So first will be a 3g alt swap. Should I run a second battery or should I be alright?

I just need some direction on this, thanks.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery, but I think i'm gonna have to rig up a dual battery setup just do to the winch alone.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes you need to run a RELIABLE battery to run the winch, and if you are going to run ALL of this together at one time or another, you may consider getting OPTIMA battaries. They are dry cell batteries and you can put them in the truck with you with little to no worry of fumes or leaks or explosions. Oh and they are the best on the market for Cold Cranking Amps for the $. They hold a long charge and are as reliable in good weather as they are in cold. You are looking at about 400 alone in the Optimas if you want to do this the best way possible. But if you are on a budget, then atleast get one optima to run the winch, and you can mount it in the cab. Those lights alone will kill your old battery in no time, have you considered a heavy duty Alternator too?

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
Yes you need to run a RELIABLE battery to run the winch, and if you are going to run ALL of this together at one time or another, you may consider getting OPTIMA battaries. They are dry cell batteries and you can put them in the truck with you with little to no worry of fumes or leaks or explosions. Oh and they are the best on the market for Cold Cranking Amps for the $. They hold a long charge and are as reliable in good weather as they are in cold. You are looking at about 400 alone in the Optimas if you want to do this the best way possible. But if you are on a budget, then atleast get one optima to run the winch, and you can mount it in the cab. Those lights alone will kill your old battery in no time, have you considered a heavy duty Alternator too?
:doh0715: start with the alt upgrade, once the bronco is running the battery has nothing to do with the lights, they run of the voltage supplied by the alt, if you plan on using the lights more with the bronco off, then worry about upgrading your battery or adding another.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Would you recommend an optima or another dry cell brand for in the cab use? I dont want anyone dying form a battery accident!!
Why would you put it inside the cab? Ford had a dual battery setup from the factory for diesels, and I think they where also on ambulances...which if you found a few parts in the jy, you could put it in the bronco ;) Been done on here before...

TO OP:

Deffinatly upgrade your alt. as stated before. I have 2 130w lights on my bronco, plus regular headlights...pretty bright, but have 6+ lights, in my opinion be overkill. However, if its what ya want, go for it :thumbup: I'd think a 160 amp alt will work fine.

As for the winch, i have no experience with them, but I know they pull a lot of amps...If you where to be winching, best thing to do would be turn off most of the lights :toothless:

KC

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah, bigger alt. is first thing on my list.

I won't be running both lights and winch at the same time either, maybe once or twice but I don't really plan on it. Lights will be used when truck is running the majority of the time. The only time they won't is a little bit if I'm camping or hunting.

For the lights I will use the ones on the bumber more then the roof mounted ones. I do a lot of backwood/ country road driving and it will be nice to light up the night. And i've almost hit quite a few deers (colorado, go figure) and it would be nice to spot them from far away. Either way they will all be getting use.

If I run a dual battery I will be pulling the secondary tray from a diesel and running it underhood.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have the 3g and dual batts.

I ran the winch under a load and all items inside the FSB while STOCK and got 11 volts and dim lights.
after 3g swap I got 15 volts full time. 3g is the shit.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the 3g and dual batts.

I ran the winch under a load and all items inside the FSB while STOCK and got 11 volts and dim lights.
after 3g swap I got 15 volts full time. 3g is the shit.
Good deal. Well 3g was my first choice since everyone swears by it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts