Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1985 Bronco XLT 5.0
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PO had some interesting wiring on the Bronco that I'm hoping someone can help me with. The relay that is hanging is under the dash near the gas pedal. The yellow with blue trace wire has an added red jumper that then feeds the added grey wire that splices under the passenger dash to a yellow wire, which then ties in under the hood as pictured. The second yellow wire under the passenger dash is not tied in.

The other grey wire that is spliced into the black (or brown) wire in the relay does not go anywhere, and i am assuming it is a ground. The other added red wire that you see coming through the firewall is constant hot, tied in at the line side of the starter relay, but not used.

I do have a wiring diagram ordered, but it did not arrive yet. Any idea if this should be tied together and what is this circuit is for?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1985 Bronco XLT 5.0
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The tan connector near the above mentioned relay has the red wire snipped. I noticed this connecter is not connected on a few other trucks that i looked at. Any concern here and what would this connector be for?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1985 Bronco XLT 5.0
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is also a brown wire snipped near where the yellow wire ends up under the hood on the passenger side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1985 Bronco XLT 5.0
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bronco is mostly solid since it came from AZ/NV area, but the wiring was pretty jacked up. Since I have had this I got the turn signals, horn, cruise, reverse lights, headlights, and some other miscellaneous things working, but the hack jobs concern me along with his wiring technique of skinning the insulation and wrapping it together. I do have a disconnect installed on the negative battery terminal out of fear of burning my garage down due to the shape of the wiring. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,855 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
1,115 Posts
Your 85 is the same colors my 85 XLT was.

As far as your wiring concerns, I'd say if it's that bad, you are probably better off running new wires in all of the areas the Bubba wiring happened. De-pinning connectors & having fresh clean, wires where ever you can.

Keep in mind, one of the biggest causes of wiring problems is bad grounds, so be sure to clean any ground to body you can, then corrosion in connectors is another one to look out for, as well as cracked wires that may be internally corroded.

Then once you corect a wire, it's a very good practice to check the voltage at both ends, to make sure the wire isn't bad, or a connector funked up with corrosion, between where it came from & where its going. This was most of the problem on my 86, a few bad wires from age & crusty connectors, & had I not been advised to check from the sensor, right to the EEC pin, I'd have never known.

·
Premium Member
1985 Bronco XLT 5.0
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm cleaning up the wiring as i go. I'm just curious to what the circuit is in the pictures. I love that blue on your avatar bronco. Paint is probably near the end of my list of things to do. I want to get it road ready and safe for my kid to cruise around in this spring. I had two broncos and a k5 when i was younger and had a blast in them.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
1,115 Posts
Yeah we're all pretty much in the same boat, fixing up as we go. This is my 4th Bronco, and they are just good fun vehicles to tinker around with, not too complicated, but they still piss ya off, then bring a smile to your face when your driving them.

I got mine from it's deathbed, and tinkered for a year, slowly getting it mechanically sound, even got the air working, then I ripped it apart to fix the rust, which I'm still doing, then paint comes.

That blue is the factory color on my 86, "Shadow Blue Metallic" I basicly bought it cuz I liked the color, but it was rusty, so now I'm fixing that now....ugh!

@robbz28 has an 86 your color he's painting that same blue, & it's looking pretty sweet. You can check out his build thread & mine, (my build thread is at the bottom of my posts) it gives a lot of insight to these 80-86 "Bullnose" Broncos.

Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

·
Premium Member
1985 Bronco XLT 5.0
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I had an 88 and a 96. I sold the 96 EB in 2011 for 5100. It was the toreador red and only had 122k miles with minimal surface wheel well rust. 'Never should have sold that" - typical story for those of us getting older. I never liked the bullnose when i was younger, but now I do. We will see where this one goes.......

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 mostly stock
1,298 Posts
I havent been on the forum as much as id like lately, missed this thread. The wiring on my 86 is dang near perfect so when i get back to the house this evening ill see if i can get some answers for your wiring issues.

Im fortunate that none of the PO's decided to go frankenstein on the wiring, the only "problems" i have are the dang connectors that I have broken the lock tabs off of disconnecting them, but that's a challenge with all these old ford connectors. Also I abandoned my rear window defrost (for now), the circuit in the glass had so many "erased" spots I just said screw it, plus im in Louisiana and don't really need it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts