Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran all over town tonight trying to find some 10 gauge wire to install my new air horn. I finally had to go to Lowe's and wound up buying some 110v 10 gauge multi strand wire that would normally be used to wire up homes, etc. Is this wire alright to use in my BKO?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DOH! Guess I'll throw that wiring in the trash and run by another auto parts store tomorrow for a 20 amp fuse holder as well. BTW, I went to Radio Shack, Circuit City, Tweeter, and a small Auto Zone, to no avail.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Just put some split loom on it.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I thought that Radio Shack would have it, but the largest wire they had was 16 gauge. The guy at the counter said "We don't carry LARGE gauge like that". I almost laughed, then just walked out in disgust...

·
Zombie Hunter
13,698 Posts
Most wiring is oil resistant, it just depends what type you bought. The majority of the stuff i use at work is, and i don't even ask for it to be, it just is.

If you have a good section of it, read the insulation. It should tell you 10 AWG, (a T code i believe TNN or THN), a voltage rating (usually 600 volts) and whether it's oil resistant or not.

If it isn't, go to your local electrical supply store and tell them you need oil resistant 10 gauge wire, it should be less than 90 cents a foot.

·
Banned
38,721 Posts
If you bought the single colored stranded wire with a shiny outer coating, it's fine for automotive use, but Rob is right: it should say something like "oil resistant".

·
Registered
89 Posts
Any Marine supply outlet, ie. Boaters World, etc, or any Marine dealership will be more than happy to hook you up with any AWG size you need. A tad pricey, but the best wiring I've ever used for automotive replacement.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I went down to the "Big" Autozone about 20 minutes from here and found everything I needed in about 30 seconds. :banghead Anywho after about 45 minutes of careful wiring(with heat shrink tubing) I got the air horn wired up with a relay and kept the stock horn functional as well. They sound GREAT! Notice the caps on that? That's for the volume of them!

I'll keep the house wiring, which does say "gasoline and oil resistant" on it. That is some pretty stiff wire though, it would have been tough to route and look nice in the cramped quarters I placed the air pump though. Guess the red and black auto wiring looks better than this green stuff anyways...

·
Zombie Hunter
13,698 Posts
just so you know.....in the 110Volt world, green indicates ground. Don't run power through it, so the next guy that comes along doesn't light himself up.

and do we get to see these air horns?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to know that's what the green color indicates--I didn't know(really). I'll shoot some pics of where I installed ther horns and compressor/relay tomorrow if it isn't raining like they forecasted. I think that it's a pretty slick location for them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts