Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pardon my ignorance but can someone give me some advice on where to run a "switched" source from?
I am going to be making a project box that will mount next to the fuse box under the hood.
I need to run some of the "unswitched' sources directly to teh battery, and of course the "switched" sources to a lead that supplies power only when the ignition is on.
I really do not want to tap an existing fuse, or tap off from another ignition wire also known as a "cheater" because that may lead to wire fault.
If you have clear advise for me that would really help me out.
Thank you in advance.

·
FSB warrior
6,118 Posts
If you had a lot of stuff to wire in and you dont mind a) the sight of an extra switch and b) the annoyance of having to flip a switch... I would just add a switch from the battery for little things that require 12V switched source. Now if you only got like 1 or 2 things then just wiring it into a fuze shouldnt be too bad.

Thats just my suggestion... its not a written rule anywhere.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
You can tap in to your igniton(key) switch. It's the Black/Light Green wire. If you follow that, then just sauder in at the switch, then you won't have to worry about wire failure. Or, you can just do like 81bronk36 said, and run a switch from the battery. What kind of stuff are you planin on adding? Maybe you could do an extra battery, and then wire it for accessories.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already got the extra battery.
I will prob just run the switch.
I am planning on putting in another e fan but the second one will not be thermostaticly controlled.
I want it as a just in case fan, and I wanted it to run with out running it off teh other fans controls.
Guess i will just get some more relays and get to work.

·
FSB warrior
6,118 Posts
Good idea man. Use relays... without sucks! (I'll never do it again):banghead

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Well, if it's just a fan, then power it strait off the battery, and then run a switch somewhere convienant. I did that with a cheap set of fog lights, and they did fine. Make sure you put in an inline fuse too, just for piece of mind. Then, later when you decide to add more accessories, you could go all out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts