Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive recently bought a 1990 bronco eddie bauer edition w/351w the works, well i took her out a few times and shes done, no oil pressure shot rockers and lifters, hole in the exhaust, bad rear and front main, leaking power steering fluid, and im still on stock suspension. i have no idea where to start and where to get the parts to start replacing things, ive checked a few bronco sites, i.e. toms bronco graveyard, if anyone has any suggestions or a help hint to push me in the right direction id appreciate it, id love to blow my buddys jeep out of the mud by next spring. later

overhaul includes:
new front and rear axels
8'' lift
rebuild or buy 351w
new trans/ transfercase
power steering
brakes
minor to major body mods i.e. lift and dent and rust removal

the question is where to start

·
Registered
616 Posts
First steps would be to conquer the safety (brakes) and then the driveability and reliablilty issues.
Lift and axles aren't worth a nickel if you can't drive it.

Don't tear anything apart until you're pretty sure you have an idea of how to put it back together.

·
big, long, hard
5,974 Posts
You mentioned in the title that you "wish it wasn't a project". For the money you are about to spend, you could find a pretty decent bronco with a lot of those projects already done. Just my .02

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
:stupid:

Find a good running bronco and throw your money into suspension, gears, and tires.

If you are hellbent on THIS bronco. Get that 351W ticking good again, while doing that fix the seals, then the other driveline/brake issues. Then start working on upgrades. Your buddies jeep will always win if your motor is shot.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Im sure the list of fixes sounds overwhelming to you right now. If you are
going to stick with this Bronco starting with the engine will fix 3-4 of your
immediate problems.
You can do the engine and all the engine leaks at once and while the engine
is out of the truck remove the entire old exhaust and put headers on.
They all leak power steering fluid. Thats later.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well thanks for the push, i guess the title is misleading i knew it would be a project its just getting late into the year and im just getting started

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and as far as power steering, ive heard that the power steering gear box leak is common, but is fixing it just a bandaid on a bullet wound?

·
Registered
867 Posts
im in the same boat as you man, im convinced my PO just half assed everything on my truck, itll be worth the work and money (im hoping) and im sure your buddies face when you pull him out of the mud will be worth the headache

Get the truck in running order, which will involve a rebuild or new motor, do the exhaust at the same time, then brakes, then worry about the suspension...

i think u can get a new 351W from ford for 2000.00 (i think) and it warrantied

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.