Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Use the Force...
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will this filter be ok to use for my transmission? Guy at o'reilys said it should only be used for oil. My response was, isn't trans fluid still oil? Anyway, getting a new trans installed and don't want to screw it up.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,091 Posts
do not know on that specific filter, but I run FL-1A filters on two of my trucks with trans filters and they have been ok and that is suppose to be an oil filter too

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
These filters are not the same. Transmission Oil pressure is much higher than Engine Oil pressure. The average transmission pressure is between 90 and 130 psi where oil pressure is generally less than 60 psi, depending upon rpm. For high pressure transmission fluid pumps, such as those used in racing applications, WIX recommends you use a high performance filter that will handle up to 200 psi, such as the WIX 51622 that I use.

The difference between the transmission and oil filters are internal relief valve pressure and micron filtration.

·
Registered
9,835 Posts
Will this filter be ok to use for my transmission? Guy at o'reilys said it should only be used for oil. My response was, isn't trans fluid still oil? Anyway, getting a new trans installed and don't want to screw it up.
Seattle makes a good point though Ive never heard of using different filters for the transmission fluid. I use FL-1A filters on mine without issue.

·
Super Moderator
26,098 Posts
yo D,
This should be installed
Filter, In-Line TSB 00-23-10 by Ford for 89-96 Bronco & F Series, etc. Source: by Ford via http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/tsb/tsb/files/002310.pdf

&

http://www.emergingent.com/subpage1Magnefine.htm
http://www.magnefinefilters.com/main.sc
Filter, In-Line, Emerging Enterprises, Magnefine® or Power Steering XC3Z-7B155-AA Installation Instructions; Ford XC3Z-7B155-AA; this filter is cited in E4OD/4R100 Filter, In-Line Kit TSB 00-3-8 for 89-96 Source: by Emerging Enterprises, Magnefine® http://www.emergingent.com/magnefine/installation_page.htm

Great Price Now too!

Magnefine Filter Qty: Price: $16.00 Size: 3/8 Inch 5/16 Inch 1/2 Inch Smart Connects: None3/8 Inch Add $3.505/16 Inch Add $3.501/2 Inch Add $3.50 Note: "Smart Connect" fittings are only suggested if a hose section is not available for installation or if you are doing a hard line install..

Filter, Internal, Grommet Warning; "...When ever you go to change your trans filter, Always make sure to pull out the little round rubber do hicky thingamabob. Lets call it a gromit or a seal? Theres this part of the trans filter that is inserted into the trans (a round tube that goes up into this hole ); Now the tube has a gasket of sorts that wraps around the tube ( kinda like a wide O-ring )It form a seal between the tube and the hole it goes in. Well what ended up killing my trans was that fact that the last guy that changed the trans filter didnt notice that this o-ring thing (gromit Or what ever) did'nt come out with the filter it stayed in the hole! He left it in there; & installed the new filter witch had its preinstalled gromit already; So what he did, is he (unknowingly) stacked two gromits on top of each other, Witch did not let the filters tube fit as it should. It was starving itself for fluid!! It was sucking air as well as tranny fluid! (in other words not working right) ..."
Source: by BlancoBronco (Cam C , Project BLANCO
==============

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Wix Filter
Burst Pressure - 500 psi

Motorcraft FL-A1
Burst Pressure - 200 psi

Here is a TCI AOD Pressure Test on their Streetfighter AOD Transmission. TCI states that these pressure readings provide a valuable source of information when troubleshooting transmission problems or as a system check after rebuilding a transmission or installing a TCI valve body.

·
Registered
9,835 Posts
Wix Filter
Burst Pressure - 500 psi

Motorcraft FL-A1
Burst Pressure - 200 psi

Here is a TCI AOD Pressure Test on their Streetfighter AOD Transmission. TCI states that these pressure readings provide a valuable source of information when troubleshooting transmission problems or as a system check after rebuilding a transmission or installing a TCI valve body.

Ok, Very well.

But just for the sake of I'm curious. Where were those pressure readings taken? The cooling line or test port? The two have vastly different pressures. I don't doubt that a upgraded transmission may have a higher cooling circuit pressure, but a stock transmission cooling circuit isn't anywhere near that much pressure, It would blow a plastic magnefine filter to bits if it were. Besides, you can start a vehicle with one line disconnected and it will come out in a gentle stream, If it had that much pressure I doubt that would be possible.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Ok, Very well.

But just for the sake of I'm curious. Where were those pressure readings taken? The cooling line or test port? The two have vastly different pressures. I don't doubt that a upgraded transmission may have a higher cooling circuit pressure, but a stock transmission cooling circuit isn't anywhere near that much pressure, It would blow a plastic magnefine filter to bits if it were. Besides, you can start a vehicle with one line disconnected and it will come out in a gentle stream, If it had that much pressure I doubt that would be possible.
Good point, it looks like it was at the test port. I have never ran my truck with a transmission cooling line disconnected, largely because I use expensive Amsoil Synthetic ATF and have no need to do so. Keep in mind there is a difference between volume and pressure and an open line with no resistance may not allow pressure to build, especially at higher rpm. I still choose to use a "Hydraulic" specific filter as recommended. According to TCI:

These readings can be obtained by attaching a 300 psi fluid pressure gauge to the appropriate pressure port on the transmission, and running the engine at 2000 rpm.
Transmission Line Pressure Specifications

·
Registered
9,835 Posts
Good point, it looks like it was at the test port. I have never ran my truck with a transmission cooling line disconnected, largely because I use expensive Amsoil Synthetic ATF and have no need to do so. Keep in mind there is a difference between volume and pressure and an open line with no resistance may not allow pressure to build, especially at higher rpm. I still choose to use a "Hydraulic" specific filter as recommended. According to TCI:

Transmission Line Pressure Specifications
Whatever works for you. I just read those pressures and was shure I've never seen cooling circuit pressures that high. Now main line and test port pressures will hit that all day long.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
The brass transmission cooler inside the radiator would never take those pressures.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
yo D,
This should be installed
Filter, In-Line TSB 00-23-10 by Ford for 89-96 Bronco & F Series, etc. Source: by Ford via http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/tsb/tsb/files/002310.pdf
I am curious about this Ford OASIS (Online Automotive Service Information System) message that I believe that is referring to the Ford rebranded Magnafine Filter?

OASIS SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGE NUMBER: 21035
MESSAGE TITLE: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION INLINE FLUID FILTER ELIMINATED AND NO LONGER REQUIRED AFTER INTERNAL TRANSMISSION REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES :
2009 - 2010 TRUCK : 00016 E-SERIES
2009 - 2010 TRUCK : 00134 EXPLORER 4DR
2009 - 2010 TRUCK : 00110 EXPLORER
2009 - 2010 TRUCK : 00029 F-SERIES LD
2009 - 2010 TRUCK : 00028 F-SERIES
2009 TRUCK : 00175 F-SERIES MOTORHOME/COMMERCIAL
2009 - 2010 TRUCK : 00070 MOUNTAINEER
2009 - 2010 CAR : 00071 MUSTANG
2009 - 2010 TRUCK : 00081 RANGER
2009 - 2010 CAR : 00094 TOWN CAR
2009 HEAVY TRUCK : 00168 LOW CAB FORWARD

OASIS MESSAGE :
2009-UP FORD/LINCOLN/MERCURY VEHICLES INSTALLATION OF INLINE TRANSMISSION FLUID FILTER/KIT IS NO LONGER REQUIRED WITH TRANSMISSION OVERHAUL OR REMAN TRANS ASSEMBLIES. ENGINEERING TESTS HAVE DETERMINED THE INLINE TRANSMISSION FLUID FILTER IS INEFFECTIVE AND WILL NO LONGER BE INCLUDED WITH REMAN TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLIES. THE INSTALLATION OF THIS FILTER HAS SHOWN TO INCREASE THE POTENTIAL OF TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAKS AT THE INLINE FILTER CLAMP CONNECTIONS AND COMPROMISING THE INTEGRITY OF THE FLUID COOLER LINE AND THE INTERNAL INLINE FILTER BYPASS HAS BEEN SHOWN TO BE INEFFECTIVE. IF THE TRANSMISSION TURBO HEATED COOLER LINE FLUSHER(OR EQUIVALENT)IS NOT UTILIZED, PLEASE FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDED PROCEDURES IN THE APPROPRIATE VEHICLE WSM. FOLLOW SERVICE PROCEDURE IN SECTION 307-01 TRANSMISSION FLUID COOLER BACKFLUSHING AND CLEANING.

APPLICABLE SYMPTOM CODES :
500000 DRIVELINE
504000 DRIVELINE OTHER AUTO TRANS CONCERNS
590000 DRIVELINE PUBLICATION REVISIONS/UPDATES
890000 PUBLICATION CHANGES

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I just read those pressures and was shure I've never seen cooling circuit pressures that high. Now main line and test port pressures will hit that all day long.
pfun41, it looks like you are correct.

After looking at principle applications, I believe the high rating for these hydraulic filters are for high pressure use in forklifts and tractors. Cheap oil filters have been known to explode. Your comments made so much sense I had to look into it further.

Other than burst pressure ratings, both WIX 51622 and Motorcraft FL-1A have similar anti-drainback valves, relief valves, flow rate and filtration. I agree that an quality oil filter is probably fine, but I have always used the Wix hydraulic filter since being admonished by Fireguy50. I even found lots of old posts on this topic.

:twak :histerica

·
Super Moderator
26,098 Posts
I am curious about this Ford OASIS (Online Automotive Service Information System) message that I believe that is referring to the Ford rebranded Magnafine Filter?
yo Seattle,
Thanks!
I don't have a 2009/10 Service Manual nor have I seen the trans lines on any so far. My 96, bought new does have a factory rubber hose held in-place by worm clamps for trans fluid flush. Bronco is on road now; think it may be near Wash. DC by now; will look for a pic I took a few yrs ago for something else w/hose & clamps in background.

Can you find any OASIS for 96 Broncos or prior years that reflects same?

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Can you find any OASIS for 96 Broncos or prior years that reflects same?

Can only locate this OASIS. There are various opinions in the threads below. Read the first link all the way down to see differences between Genuine Magnefine and Rebranded (such as Ford's Filtrans).

PROBLEMS with DEFECTIVE/ BAD MAGNEFINE FILTERS

Fords TSB Against Installing a Magnefine

This may better explain additional perceived problems:

It has been brought to our attention that there is some issues with the MagneFine In line Filter. In reply to any issue that you find I would like to advise that we warranty the product for its operation and performance.

I would also like to advise that there is a Knock Off in line filter that looks exactly like the MagneFine. This copy is Made in China and is sold on line and in some the same traditional distribution outlets, like the ones mentioned in the forums.

Over the last 9 months we have been inundated with reports from customers that the MagneFine filter is failing or leaking between the cap and the body seam. In 99% of cases it has been the knock off filter that the customer has and not a MagneFine filter.

To identify the genuine MagneFine filter from the Knock off. Just remove the label and if the "MagneFine" name is not molded into the cap then it is the Knock off not a genuine MagneFine.

All of the previous sources for a genuine re-labeled MagneFine filter, are currently selling another brand of filter. That includes ATP (their own brand), CARDONE (their own brand), FORD (re-labeled FILTRAN), NAPA (re-labeled CHINA), RAYBESTOS (re-labeled CHINA), SPX (re-labeled FILTRAN), etc.

I have also read several posts where the Magnefine bypass has failed to open completely causing significant problems. My guess this was a result of poor maintenance, where Magnefine now recommends replacement annually. In general the Magnefine magnetic filtering system appears to be a benefit for new transmissions. Personally, I change oil after break-in, 200 miles and 500 miles - and I use a magnetic drain plug in the Mag-Hytec pan.

·
Super Moderator
26,098 Posts
yo Seattle,
Thanks!
This reminds me of Ford's Counterfeit Parts article;
http://www.fordbrandprotection.com/counterfeit.asp
Source: by Ford
excerpts;
"...According to various Government agencies and industry sources, counterfeiting is estimated to cost the industry $12 billion in lost sales annually and as many as 200,000 lost jobs. Customers expect that parts bearing the Ford trademark have been tested to ensure a high level of quality and durability. Counterfeit parts are not designed, engineered and tested to meet the same quality standards as Ford OEM parts.

...It's not just filters...
Counterfeit Fuel Filters may have poor filtering elements that can be made from old rags, perforated food cans, and other materials. This could cause engine problems to your vehicle such as allowing sediments and particulates to pass through the fuel supply causing your engine to hesitate, stall, or even shutdown...

Counterfeit Pitman Arms are identified by:
– “Food” Logo
"Food" Counterfeit pitman arms do not meet the minimum OEM fatigue test requirements
..."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts