Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1991 XLT 5.0L 302ci
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys picked up my bronco from the shop and parked it for a few days, went out to start it on Sunday and it wouldn’t turn on.

***Update to now, I got it to start by inserting the key to run, pressing the brake, cycling down to Drive and back up to Park and it started right up.
I did this a few times and it was hit or miss. Sometimes it would turn on without cycling other times I had to cycle to get it to turn.

Mechanic worked on...
the steering column. Replaced ignition switch and and an arm that was broken/ not making contact?
-Unrelated but he also hooked up a mechanical gauge to check oil pressure.

The bronco is new to me by only a few weeks.
Brand new battery
Brand new set of keys made by mechanic.
Brand new terminals and yes made sure they weren’t loose.

I searched the forum and couldn’t find a definitive answer on the issue. Any ideas ?

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,406 Posts
Or the linkage is out of adjustment since he worked on the steering column. Did this problem ever occur before he worked on it?

·
Registered
1991 XLT 5.0L 302ci
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah It’s hard to say, since I’ve only owned it for a few weeks. It’s been in the shop pretty much since I’ve owned it.

if my problem could be steering column related,
I’m wondering if this warrants a visit back to the shop so he could give his work one more look.

Or the linkage is out of adjustment since he worked on the steering column. Did this problem ever occur before he worked on it?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,013 Posts
The real issue here is most likely the common issue of the 2 torx bolts coming loose under the column. Yes it can be that simple. Pop your head down by the brake pedal, look up. Reach up and wiggle the shifter. You'll see the bolts I'm talking about.

Assuming you have a 91 by your name, I'm not sure this is relevant. But later years for sure.

·
Registered
1991 XLT 5.0L 302ci
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, hopefully this is it. Giving it a shot tomorrow and I’ll report how it goes.
Thanks

The real issue here is most likely the common issue of the 2 torx bolts coming loose under the column. Yes it can be that simple. Pop your head down by the brake pedal, look up. Reach up and wiggle the shifter. You'll see the bolts I'm talking about.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Forgot about that, since his has a linkage instead of a cable there's more likelyhood for play in the system.

Assuming you have a 91 by your name, I'm not sure this is relevant. But later years for sure.
Bricknose has a solid linkage instead of a cable and a completely different column.

·
Registered
1991 XLT 5.0L 302ci
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help fellas, got underneath (well tried) the steering column and tightened the 2 screws up and that seemed to do the trick for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts