Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some quick advice. My truck won't start at all. I turn the key, and only the fuel pump comes on. The instruments and radio turn off when I turn the key to start, but the rest of the lights (dome & headlights) don't dim. I tried jumping it, with no luck. Any ideas what I should try next??

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,257 Posts
Sounds like the starter or the solenoid has been fried. Are you hearing a click when you turn the key?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope, not even a click. All I hear is the fuel pump running...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been having problems with the ignition point on the steering column ever seince I bought it. The little metal piece that holds the key is place has always been real loose, and would usually set the chime off thinking the key was in there when it wasn't off. I'm wondering if it could be something in there?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Get a multimeter and see if there are any ohms between the two big terminals on the starter solenoid....

Oh wait, you have the newer model with the solenoid built into the starter, don't you?

Well, you could take the starter out, and bench test it.

It's easy to unbolt, then use some jumper cables to send some power to it streight from your battery. if it engages and spins, then you've got a good starter, and need to look elsewhere.

Just be sure and hold the starter down real good when you hook it up. Maybe a vice would be a better idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts