Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 87 302 won't start first time second ok then its great rest of day,new plugs ,wires,rotor ,dist.,fuel filter,cleaned the air cleaner,cleaned the throttle body any idea's to ry or look for thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
mine does the same thing...
starts right up on the second turn, no prob.
very rarely on the first though.

Still trying to figure it out...
not that bad of a problem to have though.

·
Premium Member
9,995 Posts
I would check your TPS -throttle position sensor which controls TB blade angle, there are 2 styles of TPS both have spring loaded rings in the center to engage the "tanges" of the TB shaft blade at the bottom. You should make a scribe mark for positon of the TPS on the TB base for reference if you plan to replace it or take it off.
One style actually has elongated screw "slots" so you can physically move & adust it for proper voltage using a multimeter, the other TPS is where you put it in your hand turn a little CCW then set it over the TB blade end to engage the TB shaft "tanges" turn CC to line up the screw holes and tighten down then re-connect it's plug & play voltage setting is automatic.

There are other possible issues starting etc. check igniton system , timing or FPR..................

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
TPS wouldn't have any effect on a first time no-start. What would be the difference between the first and second time the engine is cranked?

Get a fuel pressure tester, and see what your fuel pressure is on the first time the fuel pump primes. My bet would be that the check valve failed in the FDM, and it's just taking a prime or two to get fuel pressure at the rail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.