Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first off hi everybody..

Well ive got a 88 fs bronco. It was sitting for a month or 2 and i was starting it up every couple of weeks so it wouldnt seize up..Then about a week or so ago i went to start it and it just kept turning over.Like i had no spark..So today i went and bought a new ICM. And its still doing the same. But i did notice that the fuel pump keep running when the key is in the run position.So i vaguely remember that the front pumps only supposed to run just long enough to prime..so i guess my first Question would be what would cause the front fuel pump to keep running?

The gas needle says ive got gas but if i was out of gas would the pump keep running..It remeber smelling gas last week when i tried starting it but maybe my needle screwed up and i was just smelling fumes..Ive got a job i just started and need my beast up and running for work..So if anybody can help me figure this out that would be great. I just need to figure out what would cause the pump to keep running. Then go down the list and find out whats causeing it..Thank you in advance

Also im going to grab some gas rite now and see if thats the problem..But i dont think it is but atleast that will nock 1 possibility off the list..

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
try the fuel pump relay.. <shrug> I had an issue with our bronco from the previous owner who had some whack job on the harness and the pumps would always stay on, but it did start..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok also can i pull the fuel line from the FPR and see if gas is comeing threw at all? Or is that a stupid ideal. I just read it in another thread..

Edit: Also forgot to mention it wont let me run the code test.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve83 said:
Don't pull the fuel line - it's pointless. If anything, put a fuel pressure gauge on it, but again: probably pointless.

Keep searching - there are some old threads about this exact problem and IIRC the owner ended up replacing the EEC. That's always the LAST step, though. Check all the power & ground supplies, and specifically the FP relay ground. If it's staying grounded, then the EEC is definitely the source.
Yeah i just threw some gas in the beast and tried starting it but when i turned the ign to start all that happened was the fuel pump hummed a little bit louder not much but enough to notice it.So then im like what the heck..So i tried a few times all with the same results..Then the 4-5th time the key wouldnt turn at all..Well it would if i man handle it. but i didnt wont to break anything so i just left it..I guess tommorow ill be dropping the steering wheel to see whatss up with that..

Could a faulty ignition cause the fuel pump problem?.I remember about 2 weeks prior to me letting it sit i got stuck i the store cause it wouldnt start but after trying for like an hour it finally started..And i didnt do anything to get it running just kept turning it over. Hopefully this is the cause of my problem..But with my luck it probably not..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve83 said:
No, the ig.sw. has nothing to do with the FP. Get a Haynes manual & check the wiring diagrams.
Well i allready got haynes so i guess tommorow ill be checking the wireing too.This truck has to understand i cant fix her if she wont get me to work..LOL

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
I know when my Fuel relay wasn't hooked up right I couldn't pull codes.. But when I fixed the PO's wiring mistakes the Fuel pumps worked right and now I'm able to pull codes..

Check your wiring very carefully..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spectre said:
I know when my Fuel relay wasn't hooked up right I couldn't pull codes.. But when I fixed the PO's wiring mistakes the Fuel pumps worked right and now I'm able to pull codes..

Check your wiring very carefully..
Were they hooked up wrong at the relay? or somewhere else? ive been working on it all day and the only thing ive figured out..Was that my ignition janmming problem is in the steering coloum (SP?) at the top of the actuator rod not at the end were i thought it was jamming up..But know i can turn it over again but still same results..Ive checked all the wires i could see and didnt see anything wrong..But it was fine b4 i let it sit for a while..Im also gonna check to see if im even getting any spark.Cause it turns over fine but doesnt even try to fire..And i just threw in a new ICM 2-4 days ago..If there is no spark im gonna try my spare coil..

And if i didnt mention allready its a 351 EFI..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok i got no spark at all..I changed the coil then tried my old ICM and still nothing could a faulty eec or fpr cause this??

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
My wires were ran to a constant +12V and not through the relay.. Kinda different situation then yours.. This is a stab in the dark, but have you tried replacing the relays?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spectre said:
My wires were ran to a constant +12V and not through the relay.. Kinda different situation then yours.. This is a stab in the dark, but have you tried replacing the relays?
Well ive been calling parts stores and junk yards all day and they tell me they dont have them and to check a dealer ship..And every dealership in my area the parts department closed at noon..

But im so lost..Could the relays cause No spark?? I found a solid white wire uder my dash that looks freshly snnaped/cut but ive been looking in my haynes and cant find that wire anywhere..I aklso checked all the near by hookups for a missing wire and didnt find any...At first i thought it was the wire that went to my shift..But it isnt.. Also that white wire looks like it comes from the left side where the headlight switch is..Im gonna try to trace it further...

And if i can only afford 1 of the relays which 1 should i grab the eec power relay or the fuel pump relay?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve83 said:
You're asking for the wrong type of relay. You DON'T want the OE Ford-style; you want standard common off-the-shelf Bosch-style ISO relays & sockets. I think they're ~$3ea. at Wal-Mart for the relays, and if you can't find sockets, you can just buy a few bucks' worth of standard female insulated blade terminals in WM, right next to the relays.
Hey thanks man.of cource none of the parts stores told me that..Now ive got a 93 merc grand marquis that has relays that look like the ones in the link you gave me..So can i just use those? Also it doesnt matter if my relays are longer than thos one rite? Im guessing it doesnt but i thought it did earlier cause i was gonna try the 1s off my merc but they didnt look the same so i didnt try..Thanks again steve83 i thought i was screwed and my local parts store wanted like 25 bucks just for 1 relay..

Also will they fit the connector i allready have??

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just a stab in the dark here but, don't be replacing relays yet. Get you wiring diagram out and make sure the places that are s'posed to have power do. For example, hot side of coil, main power into ign. module, I'm thinking nay on the relay thing myself. Have you checked the cap/rotor lately? that and have you tried a shot of starting fluid, you know to make sureit's a spark issue. Tracing out the problem, with a simple test light or multi-meter might be a little harder but, at least your not throwing parts and $$$ that you have no idea as to whether or not it is your real problem. I do believe that you coming on to a problem that left you almost stranded at a store. But, not to confuse you but, read the diagnostic proceedures well, in your manual. Also, depending on what manual you are using read the discriptions of the systems as well. It help you from stabbing in the dark.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
skumandeth said:
Just a stab in the dark here but, don't be replacing relays yet. Get you wiring diagram out and make sure the places that are s'posed to have power do. For example, hot side of coil, main power into ign. module, I'm thinking nay on the relay thing myself. Have you checked the cap/rotor lately? that and have you tried a shot of starting fluid, you know to make sureit's a spark issue. Tracing out the problem, with a simple test light or multi-meter might be a little harder but, at least your not throwing parts and $$$ that you have no idea as to whether or not it is your real problem. I do believe that you coming on to a problem that left you almost stranded at a store. But, not to confuse you but, read the diagnostic proceedures well, in your manual. Also, depending on what manual you are using read the discriptions of the systems as well. It help you from stabbing in the dark.
Well i went out today and checked for spark and there was no spark..So i swapped the coil with a spare 1 i had..Still no spark..Also yesterday i replaced the ICM/TFI and that did nothing..The thing that gets me is that the fuel pump just keeps going and ever since that has started i cant pull codes..And im so confused by my haynes cause i got wires that arent even in the diagram and also there are wire in the dia that i dont have..and I checked my vin# so i know i had the rite diagram..And hope fully i wont have to buy the relays cause my grand marquis has some so im going to try those..Im junking the marquis anyway..

Ok thanks again steve83..Ill be trying that tommorrow..with my fingers crossed..Hey you know where i can get a complete wire harness..ive been looking around at junkyards but the are usually in worse shape than the 1 i got..Im just tying to get things together cause as soon as i get my income tax refund..im changeing it..Its not that bad yet but its getting close.

Don't just throw a starter relay on until you know it's bad. These relays are known to cause problems, so this is preventative maintenance, and an upgrade.

So what your saying is the stock eec and fp relays are known to cause problems..and notto replace starter relay? I just want to make sure im hearing you rite..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok from the looks of all those wires i guess ill just go threw and replace the bad ones..I did not realize there was so much wire stuffed in the dash..Who ever had the truck b4 me had allready replaced a few wires so im guessing thats why he replaced wires rather than the whole harness..Plus all my interior wires are fine..Its just 1 or 2 under the hood that look a little worn..Thanks for the heads up steve..I would have gotten myself into a nightmare..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HELLPP

Ok just got the new relays..And still nothing..I have a Digital multi meter and set it to dc 200 and there was power getting to the coil and out of the coil..But im not sure if i was testing it the rite way..Can any body tell me what to set my multimeter too?? Ive search a little and couldnt find anything..Also cant understand why i have no spark but it is getting power..Anybody got any ideals?? Ive got ot go eat..Ill be back..

EDIT: Well ive tried everything that i know of..I dont have much mechanical knowledge...So im just going to get another truck..I have to work and cant keep scewing around with this 1..If i could afford a mechanic i would bring it to 1..But i cant..I just dont understand if i got power at the coil how the heck am i not getting spark..Ive search here and in my haynes and thee is nothing about it,,Well there is but to fix it you replace tfi which ive done twice now And still no spark..I wish i had the time to search every thread and manual but i dont...Maybe i can find sum1 in here close enough to help me out..But i dunno..And i just cant understand why my fuel pump just keeps going..it was finr the week b4 this crap..Well thanks alot for your help steve if youve got any other ideals let me know..Ive been gone to work all week and well i was at the hotel my 4 yr old daughter knocked my 1yr old son out cold..And he was in the hospital for 5-6 hours so im going to go spend some time with them..until i have to leave again monday..The kicker is my son had a malformed head and was in a head cast for a year. Then when the took it off my daughter was running around the house and ran into him...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts