Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago, my 87 fullsize, 5.8, wouldn't start. The lights would light up on the inside, but it wouldn't turn over. I checked the starter relay, and the bolt that holds it to the wall of the engine compartment is slightly stripped, and won't go all the way in. I pushed it as far as I could, and immediately, I could start it up. Today, I went to leave a friends house, and it wouldn't start. Just acted like the battery was dead. I tried bridging the starting relay, and not even a spark. Acts like the batteries dead now. However, when I hook jumper cables up to the battery, the lights all go out inside the cab, and it won't even spark and pretend like its going to turn over. Soon as i remove the jumper cables, it goes back to making small sparking sounds, but not turning over.

When I had gotten it to start before, after i tightened up that bolt as much as I could, it turned over fast and hard. The fact that hooking jumper cables up to it makes the lights all go out and nothing work, really has me stumped.

·
AKA: Butthead
2,858 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a meter, just found one about an hour ago. Hadn't done any work to it, it just randomly started doing it. Before, if I would try and tighten the stripped out screw holding the solenoid to the wall, it would start. Now, it just sometimes clicks, but doesnt even try to turn over. After that, the lights don't come back on for a few seconds.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Get a new screw, slightly larger for the hole if necessary so the "starter relay" is completely grounded to the sheetmetal.......check my video on www.supermotors.net/17406 - starter relay ground - Feb 26 2010....

Make sure the "ignition wire" is securely on the relay AND ground the NEG battery cable to frame below there......

Definately put an 850CCA battery on your wish list and your BKO will thank you everyday.....lol lol .....trust me....

Pull codes from the computer if the battery is good ....KOEO = key on engine off and see what faults if any show up......

Check to see if the column shifter is "in sync" with the transmission......turn the key to RUN and pull the column shifter down to the D position, have someone hold it in place or secure it so it won't move, go underneath the truck drivers side and loosen the column shift linkage "BOLT" just enough to click the transmission "TAB" all the way back until it stops, then 2 clicks forward and tighten the bolt put it back in park, done......

This is in the Hyanes Manual ~ Ref Illus. "Point A"

If you get a code: 67 indicating either AC or NSS it's usually the linkage gets sloppy and out of sync, it's not necessarily the NSS switch so by doing this procedure the PRNDDL is in sync when you run thru the gears, it takes all of about 10 minutes to do it, eliminates the NSS when starting problems arise.....

We've all had to jiggle the shifter, holding it UP while starting......though sometimes it can be the NSS....

Just some ideas to think about....

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
AKA: Butthead
2,858 Posts
I have a meter, just found one about an hour ago.
Cool. :)
Analog meter I hope! :)

First get this out of the way... electrical problems can do all sorts of strange
things so trying to diagnose it using symptoms will get you nowhere, fast. :)

But since the -starter relay's- ground is the fender connection that's prob'ly
where your trouble is. :)

1) Dig the leads into the battery's posts and it should read about 12 volts.

Got a helper?
2) Have the helper try to start it while you watch the meter's needle and
how far it goes down while the key is in the starting position (against the
spring). I've done this without a helper, just have to settle for clipping the
leads on the clamps instead. :/

3) Did it start fine and drop to about 10 volts? :)
a) Dropped to about zero volts? ...means a bad battery (or dirty clamp).
b) No change? No change means you've got an "open" somewhere. :)
("open circuit" = opposite of a "short circuit")

4) Opens are easy to find with a meter, they stick out like a sore thumb. :)
(as long as you don't go moving stuff and clear the trouble up on yourself)

Alvin in AZ
ps- Took me ~45 minutes to post that and JK's post is better! :/

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
It's all good Brother, I would recommend yours as the second procedure just to be sure....:rockon

Keep us posted!

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts