Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I`m new to the forum and have been searching the posts but can`t find an answer. I bought a 1986 bronco yesterday that I`ve been watching on craigslist for a few weeks. Decided to give it a try. 302 efi. Brand new set of 31/1050/15 bridgestones. Also cold ac. No knocks after starting but it runs a little rough. I can see where he put new plugs wires etc.Fuel filter just replaced.new brakes.Only 900.00 so i can afford to spend a little I just don`t want to spend it in the wrong places. Will not start without ether.After its warm its fine,cranks right up.The guy I bought it from replaced the fuel pump in the frame rail trying to solve no start issue but it didn`t fix it. He says everyone who has looked at the truck says its the pump in the tank.Before I go replacing that one is there anything else I should consider? I`m wondering if the fuel injection pump ? could be bad. He drove it from Virginia to South Carolina a few months ago like it is. Runs really rich. After a few minutes black smoke from tailpipe. The rear pump in the tank runs constantly. As soon as you turn on the switch it starts buzzing. I dont think this is normal. Any and all help will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Is that EFI or carb? If it is carb I would check the cables and make sure it is able to choke and open correctly.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Is that EFI or carb? If it is carb I would check the cables and make sure it is able to choke and open correctly.
Pretty sure it would be EFI since he said it has an electric fuel pump in the tank.

Have you tried pulling codes? Check fuel pressure?

Do some searching on here for pulling the codes and checking fuel pressure. Pretty sure I saw some tests for the in the tank fuel pump and the connector for it not too long ago.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
i had the same thing happen to me. it was the fuel pump relay on mine. basicly i had to use ether to start it, and then the pull of the engine got the fuel in the engine.

can you hear the fuel pumps priming when you turn the key?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it is fuel injected . I just bought a code reader but havent had time to use it yet. Yes the fuel pump primes? i guess,you can here it running at the tank with ignition switch on but not cranked. it runs constantly. thanks for responses,if i didnt have to work i might have it fixed already. 12 hr days are rough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok went out this morning after a suggestion about fuel pump relay. unplugged the relay truck runs great til it runs out of gas. replaced with another used relay i found in the console and it starts running rich again.rear pump runs constantly. so it is definitely somewhere in the fuel delivery. any ideas where to look next?

·
Registered
6 Posts
How Did you fix it?

A friend of mine has a Bronco that does the exact same thing. We have taken it to 3 different mechanics and no one can figure it out. His is a 94 and is EFI. You said it was the computer. What did you do to fix it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts