Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I have an 89 with a 351 and auto tranny. The truck will not start with the key. You have to jump the solenoid with a screwdriver. Let me tell you what I have tried so far. Replaced the solenoid and the ignition switch. I have also just replaced the distributor due to an unrelated problem. I have been chasing wires but have not came up with anything. I know it is kind of a stupid question. Thanks in advance!:banghead

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a truck that done this once and it ended up being the box on the steering column under the dash, on my truck there was a rod that came down the steering column to the box that pushed a switch to make it start. my truck was an 80 ford not sure if they still used this setup in 89 or not. But worth a look

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found some information by doing a search. Looks like it could be a nuetral safety switch. I am trying to figure out which wires to tie together to over ride it. Let me know if you guys have a link to where I can find out. Thanks for the help.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
before you start ripping into it.

explain the problem a bit better.

What happens when you turn the key to start the truck. What are the noises you're hearing?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does nothing when I turn the key. I have no power to the wire that comes from the ignition to the solenoid. It is red wire with a blue stripe. From what the schematic says the wire comes from the nuetral safety switch. I know the ignition switch is good cause I just replaced it and the solenoid.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
It does nothing when I turn the key. I have no power to the wire that comes from the ignition to the solenoid. It is red wire with a blue stripe. From what the schematic says the wire comes from the nuetral safety switch. I know the ignition switch is good cause I just replaced it and the solenoid.
Just remember just cause them parts are new and shiney doesn't mean they are good!;)

Does the fuel pumps prime? Do you get lights coming on in the cab?

Gota be very specific for anyone to help you much. More specific the faster you (fourm members) can (help) find the problem.

As someone mentioned before, it may be the switch lower down the column, but I am unsure if they used the same setup on your year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everything works. Fuel pumps, lights in the cab the whole nine yards. The only way you can start it is with a screwdriver across the new solenoid. It looks like from the ignition switch it goes to the nuetral safety switch and then to the solenoid. Thanks for the help so far!:beer

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,297 Posts
It sounds like you're on the right track. Since it cranks when you jump the solenoid, you know the battery, solenoid, cables, & starter are all working. It should be in that control circuit.

Sometimes when the park/neutral safety switch is bad, it'll still start in neutral, or when you pull the shifter further up past park. You might give it a try.

Which trans do you have? I think the c6 & aod have the park/neutral switch, while the e4od has an mlps instead.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the easiest way to tell what trans I have? I know I could probably do a search and find out but I figured I would ask anyway.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,297 Posts
Looky here Bronco Tranny and T-Case Info . It's a sticky from the top of this General Repair & Tech Help forum. The e4od has a button to turn off the overdrive, while the aod has an overdrive position & a drive position on the gear selector. The c6 has no overdrive.

If your truck has the mlps, it does more things than the p/n switch, but it can still be replaced if it's the problem. It's harder to change, but still not too bad. My old one had a different plug shape than the new one. It came with the new plug too, so the pins had to be moved from one to the other.

This thread & this link (Be sure to see all 3 pages) have info on testing the mlps, if that's what you have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts