Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my new Catco Y-pipe and cat for the 5.0 :chili:, which, except for the oil pan bolts that are on backorder, was the last part I needed/wanted to change my leaky oil pan gasket. (I figure if I'm going to bother to unbolt the Y-pipe, I might as well change it.)

Side note: Has anyone else who ordered one of these Catcos noticed that the spacing on the dual pipes doesn't match the spacing on the dual inlets on the cat? Mine's off by almost an inch.

Back to the point: I've been soaking my manifold-to-Y bolts for a week or so, and figured I'd save a little time when I do the change (next week, I thought) by breaking them loose now and replacing the nuts with brass, as Sixlitre suggested.

Of course, I snapped the very first one. :doh0715: :banghead (Stuff breaks easy when you put a 2 foot breaker bar on it.) At least I quit while I was behind.

Now the truck is much louder. I'm not very happy about this. Can I fix this with the manifold on the truck? I'm happy to buy tools, if that's what it takes. I've got a 24" long 1/4" drill bit, if that'll help. I'd just rather not spend the time it'll take to pull the manifold. (And who knows how many of the other three bolts I'll break?)

I'm thinking that once I have a method to use to fix or remove broken bolts, I'll pull the other three (or break them, whatever), and get the old Y-pipe out of the way so I have room to work.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Comments? Free shorty headers and volunteer installation assistance?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Common problem... the long exposure to high heat teands to seize them, then snap. Muffler shops deal with it at least 5 times a day, every day. :)

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MyFullSize said:
Common problem... the long exposure to high heat teands to seize them, then snap. Muffler shops deal with it at least 5 times a day, every day. :)
Errr, yes. I certainly believe that. What I was wondering was *how* they deal with it.

We don't have any muffler shops in town, and I don't think they'd be very happy about me coming in and saying, "Hey, can you get these 4 bolts out for me, but not do anything else that might make you some money?"

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
cant you just do what ever you got to do to the bolts to get the "down pipe" apart from the exhaust manifold, and then just replace the bolts when you install the new down pipes?

Oh and BTW yes I have the same exact set up on my Bronco and the two pipes just need to be convinced to go into the cat by prying them apart a bit......they do fit though, and the system works like a charm with a flow 40!

Check out the pics in my signature line.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Streetgang said:
cant you just do what ever you got to do to the bolts to get the "down pipe" apart from the exhaust manifold, and then just replace the bolts when you install the new down pipes?
Yeah, that looks like the plan. Break all 4 off (or unscrew them, if they come out), and replace them somehow before I put the new Y-pipe in.

Did you have to drop the crossmember to get the old Y-pipe out?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
sewiv said:
Did you have to drop the crossmember to get the old Y-pipe out?
No.....the Saws-All does just fine in these situations.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
sewiv said:
We don't have any muffler shops in town, and I don't think they'd be very happy about me coming in and saying, "Hey, can you get these 4 bolts out for me, but not do anything else that might make you some money?"
For money, the shop will do anything you ask of them. :thumbup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts