Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I bought my 1st Bronco.....an '88 with a 351W.
The thing won't run over 2000 rpm or 50 mph, but my friend said he thought it was losing compression and could fix it.

I am not that confident to dive right into the engine myself, so I had a few friends over to tackle the problem and do general maintainance (they are all Chevy and Dodge, I am the only one who likes Ford).

Needless to say, replacing the spark plugs and fuel filter was a nightmare! In addition we decided to replace the intake gasket. However, there is that 1 bolt in the middle of the upper intake manifold that we could not get to with an allen attachment on a socket extension (area is too narrow).

Is everything on a 351 that difficult?
All I heard all day long was "Ford sucks, Ford sucks" and I will never live it down.

My friend insists on replacing all of the gaskets (intake manifold, exaust manifold, oil pan) and the exaust donut.
Is all of this really necessary? For you experts, what else might be causing the "no over 2000 rpm" problem?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
not enough fuel pressure.

plugged up cat

fords do not use doughnuts they are casted into the manifolds unless there is headers.

only replace gaskets if you know they need to be...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I changed out my sparkplugs about 2 weeks ago and it was hell too. Me and my bro have messed up knuckles from yankin so hard on those bastard wires and them finnaly slipping off. No Idea about it only going to 50...what happens when you hit 50 or 2000 rpms? Describe what happens a little better.

O yea...and working on the bronc is fun...when you get it runnin you can :goodfinge to your friends

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The engine stops rising in rpm when it hits 2000. You will be in 3rd gear with it floored and it acts like it has a rev limiter at 2000 rpm.....just won't go any higher.

Other than that and extreme power loss, the engine runs fine. The thing didn't have any power because when I removed the spark plugs, 3 came out in peices.
This Bronco was extremely neglected by its previous owner.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The check engine light either is burnt out or it never throw a code, so I didn't think to take it by Autozone to have it read.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts