Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started working on a mount for my new winch. After searching and looking at alot of the pre-fab mounts and even the portable winch mounts i decided that i could build one just as strong or stronger and for way cheaper than any of the prefabbed stuff.

I liked the way Bossind and a few others used 8inch channel, so i went and got the channel and some 2-1/2x2-1/2x 1/4"wall square tubing.

I would have mounted it similar to bossind but i already have a crossmember there for my front leaf spring mounts. So heres what I came up with so far.

2 pieces of the square tube will be welded to the crossmember using gussets in varioius places for added strength. Then the channel will bolt onto the tubing using 6 Bolts-3 on each side.

I tried eyeballing the three holes on the right and you can tell :doh0715: so when i went to the other side i marked them out like i should have done the first time.

Rough estimate on where i am going to trim to clear the cable going into the failead. ill go back and lay it all out properly when i get to that point.

Set it on the front just to get a look. I will probably slide it back toward the radiator more and i may have to trim a bit where the control box will be.

Mounted the winch to the mount just to get a look at it

The front of the square tube will be capped off. the holes in it are tapped so that i didnt need to have acces to the inside to put nuts on the bolts. While im doing this im also going to box my front frame horns and probably tie the mount to the frame in additional places as well.

I think am also going to move it back toward the radiator some more. Nowhere near complete but not a bad start.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool idear!!! Are you saying the holes in the 8" channel are tapped for the winch hod-down bolts? JSM84
No, the 6 holes in the square tubing are tapped. so the bolts attaching the channel to the square tubing. Im the worst when it comes to decribing how something is built!!!:doh0715:

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you could put two reciever tubes and make it removeable:rockon
baddass1tonf100 actually mentioned that to me about 2 minuteds before you did. i think im going to look into doing that and see what i can come up with.:thumbup

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Looks good, but I would swap those 6 channel 2 tube bolts to grade 8s.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Whats the max pull rating?

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like how it's recessed back. Mine will be too. Where you gonna put the controller?
I havent decided yet but i may just mount it on the winch, Eventually i am going to put an in cab control panel in it allows you to run it via control panel or the regular winch controller.

Also i mocked it up with the winch on it and was able to move it even further back than shown in those pics. Ill get some pics of it tomorow.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I would have done more welds rather then bolts. i'd like to see how the threaded holes keep up after a bunch of hard pulls. I just see the threads stretching and eventually wearing out, especially if you remove it a lot.

My question is why you need to bolt the whole cradle on, when the winch is already bolted on???

Other then that, I see nothing wrong with it. Your beads will, or should be plenty big when you weld the tubes onto the crossmember. I dont see the need for the two gusset tubes, other then looks

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would have done more welds rather then bolts. i'd like to see how the threaded holes keep up after a bunch of hard pulls. I just see the threads stretching and eventually wearing out, especially if you remove it a lot.
You know now that you mention that i really cant think of why i bolted it instead of welding it, i mean really it makes more sense that way!!!:doh0715:

i guess i was over thinking it. The threads were kind of a concenr for me too, so i was going to ream the holes and weld nuts onto the inside of the tubes, but now i think i just might weld it all up.

I dont see the need for the two gusset tubes, other then looks
I think im a little slow tonight, when you say gusset tubes which are you refering to?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts