Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am broke (Not totally, but close) I decided to start working on rebuilding the D60. I already have just about everything to do the job, so there should be to many additional costs. Prior to today I have never done ANYTHING with a front axle what-so-ever:confused:. So bear with me a little

I am going to take more pics when I do the drivers side, but this is roughly what I started with (It is the driver side, but you get the idea

And this is what it looks like now...

Since I have tomorrow off, I am going to drop the rotor, caliper bracket, axles, and the spindle in the battery charger rust removal tank tomorrow (Unless someone tells me why not to...) and paint them with some self ething primer, and then some high temp paint. I plan on using some painters tape to keep the paint off the bearing and spline surfaces.

All that being said. Anyone feel like informing me how to get the inner wheel bearings out, and the needle bearings out of the spindle??:thumbup

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im curious do you have a Toro with the Suzuki motor?
Yeah, bought it at the beggin on the season for $25. Not bad for a walk behind. If you look closely you can see my Hummer 12 bolts, sliders, door panels, and a ton of tools. I am working in a 10x20 foot garage...:cry

Needle bearings need to be pressed/hammered out.

Whats holding the inners?
There is some type of seal to keep them from coming out the back, and I didn't want to hammer to much sending them out the front for fear of damaging the inner area of the hub. Everything I have been reading so far is telling me that I need to hammer them out:shrug.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
#1-It's the wheel bearing seal. Pry it out, throw it away and replace it.

#2-If you remove the spindle bearings you are going to destroy them. They will pretty much only come out with a hammer and long chiseling devise. Judging by the looks of the axle you'll want to replace them anyway.

-Scott
:stupid autozone or advance sells a seal puller that is only about $7. Its almost a must when removing those wheel seals.

Get new spindle bearings, wheel seals and spindle seals. Theres 2 or 3 spindle seals that work together to keep crap out from between the back of the spindle and the axleshaft. The new wheel seal just hammers back in with a rubber mallet or a seal driver.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
#1-It's the wheel bearing seal. Pry it out, throw it away and replace it.

#2-If you remove the spindle bearings you are going to destroy them. They will pretty much only come out with a hammer and long chiseling devise. Judging by the looks of the axle you'll want to replace them anyway.

-Scott
#1 I was guessing this as well, but(As noted above) since this is my first time, I wanted to run it by others more knowledgeable them myself prior to doing so.

#2 I was going to replace them. I know I am not going to feel like replacing them later when it is on the BKO (Assuming I ever get that far)

:stupid autozone or advance sells a seal puller that is only about $7. Its almost a must when removing those wheel seals.

Get new spindle bearings, wheel seals and spindle seals. Theres 2 or 3 spindle seals that work together to keep crap out from between the back of the spindle and the axleshaft. The new wheel seal just hammers back in with a rubber mallet or a seal driver.

I have to run to Vato zone later today anyway, so I might look into that seal puller. Thanks for the heads-up

·
yes
1,769 Posts
Since I am broke (Not totally, but close) I decided to start working on rebuilding the D60. I already have just about everything to do the job, so there should be to many additional costs. Prior to today I have never done ANYTHING with a front axle what-so-ever:confused:. So bear with me a little

I am going to take more pics when I do the drivers side, but this is roughly what I started with (It is the driver side, but you get the idea

And this is what it looks like now...

Since I have tomorrow off, I am going to drop the rotor, caliper bracket, axles, and the spindle in the battery charger rust removal tank tomorrow (Unless someone tells me why not to...) and paint them with some self ething primer, and then some high temp paint. I plan on using some painters tape to keep the paint off the bearing and spline surfaces.

All that being said. Anyone feel like informing me how to get the inner wheel bearings out, and the needle bearings out of the spindle??:thumbup
It works great as long as you have enough current and enough anodes...Then you will have to wire wheel it after it comes out but it is just real quick hits with the wire wheel...you can use a pressure washer but you need high pressure...and i found it easier to just use a wire wheel...

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It works great as long as you have enough current and enough anodes...Then you will have to wire wheel it after it comes out but it is just real quick hits with the wire wheel...you can use a pressure washer but you need high pressure...and i found it easier to just use a wire wheel...
My battery charger is working fine when I checked it about an hour ago. I have four 2 foot sections of rebar for the anodes, and I will be hitting them with the Pressure Washer first, and the wire wheeling as needed, but after only two hours it was amazing how muh of a diffference it made. I will be updating my SAS build thread with the pics later, but it amazes me how long it took me to find out about the process...

Also ran to the store and picked up some calper paint so I can get the calipers all cleaned up and ready for the rebuild (I am going to be doing them for the first time as well, but not till later on...).

·
yes
1,769 Posts
My battery charger is working fine when I checked it about an hour ago. I have four 2 foot sections of rebar for the anodes, and I will be hitting them with the Pressure Washer first, and the wire wheeling as needed, but after only two hours it was amazing how muh of a diffference it made. I will be updating my SAS build thread with the pics later, but it amazes me how long it took me to find out about the process...

Also ran to the store and picked up some calper paint so I can get the calipers all cleaned up and ready for the rebuild (I am going to be doing them for the first time as well, but not till later on...).
Yeah the process is pretty cool and it works pretty quick as long as you have enough current...could you post some pics of your setup for doing the axle? I was thinking about using one of those small plastic kids pools so i could get the whole axle in there...

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah the process is pretty cool and it works pretty quick as long as you have enough current...could you post some pics of your setup for doing the axle? I was thinking about using one of those small plastic kids pools so i could get the whole axle in there...
I am just doing the hubs and stuff right now. Later I will be using a trash an and doing on side at a time...

check my build thread for what I did today.....

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
i would NOT do the spindels in the dunk tank!

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Why no on the spindles???
well, i guess it could eat away at the finished surface where the bearings and seal rides. you want it as smooth as possible. That electrolysis tends to leave pits in metal

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
well, i guess it could eat away at the finished surface where the bearings and seal rides. you want it as smooth as possible. That electrolysis tends to leave pits in metal
Same thing I was thinking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.