Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Im 17 years old and I recently started attending a career center, I chose to take the automotive class and I LOVE IT! I bought my bronco (1995 302 e4OD xlt) over a year ago and I love it too. Well, getting to the point, I want to have my own place where I can work. I live in a duplex (I hate it) with my mom and we have no garage. Im not suggesting I would like to build myself a garage but I was thinking one of the kits you buy from menards and assemble yourself, does anyone here have any experience with those? I dont expect to be able to pull my vehicle in there, but I want to have it as more of a place to store my tools instead of carrying them up and down the stairs :)

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,970 Posts
How big of an area are do you have to work with?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About 10 feet by 10 feet, I could go bigger but my mom wanted me to try to keep it 10x10 or smaller. She's not gonna kill me if i go over

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Buy the biggest building that will fit and you can afford. You're just thinking of it in terms of storing your tools, but you'll also need room to store project stuff, to work inside when it's raining outside, etc. I'm working out of a two car garage and it's a damn tight fit with all of the stuff I have in there.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I never thought about doing something like that. I rent so I can't build any permanent structures, however, I don't see why I can't build a 10x10 or 12x10 vinyl shed on skids so if I get any flack or I move out I can drag it away. Thanks for starting my thought process!

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I was in High School a friend and I were lucky enough to score a storage unit not to far from where we both lived with electricity for 20.00 a month. We both could fit our trucks in it and still have room left over for other things. Just an idea.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
start savin and buy an enclosed trailer. i have all my construction tools in mine, i hardly ever take them out when im not working

·
Chrome gets me home
2,903 Posts
When I was in High School a friend and I were lucky enough to score a storage unit not to far from where we both lived with electricity for 20.00 a month. We both could fit our trucks in it and still have room left over for other things. Just an idea.
DAMN I NEED SOMETHING LIKE THAT!!!!!

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
I have seen a couple 10x12 sheds go for under $300 at farm sales. But if you put it in the backyard you are going to kill whatever grass is under it.

I work out of a 10x20 single garage and it it very tight. I have to be creative with my storage at time. But I also have my future new front axle, sliders, and a couple set of tires in the corner.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the replies! We rent as well so permanent structures are a no-no :p Perhaps i'll look for a storage garage

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah damn, I forgot about permits... there's always something lol

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
I looked into getting a storage unit when I was living in an apartment, and it was about $100 for a 15x20 storage unit without electricity. But I have found things like this to be very expensive in my area, so you might be able to find some better deals. I would just call around a little and see what you can't find.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I used to do all my work out of a 12 X 14 foot shed. Engines, axles, transmissions, all of it. I kept a couple sheets of 3/4" plywood around to put jacks and jackstands on to do suspension work and to roll my creeper around on. It served me well for four or five years until I could build my shop. For electricity, I just wired the shop for a couple outlets and ran the plug out the rafters. I ran a heavy duty extension cord to the house for lights and to run the parts washer. For a welder, I made my own 75 foot 220V extension cord that also ran to the house. The only real downside was that I also stored my Goldwing and portable compressor in there so I basically had to empty the building every time I wanted to work on something.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
don't expect to find anythign for less the 50$ a month. going rate here is 60$ no elec, 7 or 6.5 foot doors that fall down when you lean on them. remember that your shed has to keep your stuff safe. it does you no good to build a light structure for a few hundred and lose maybe a grand+ in tools the first time you leave for the weekend.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well guys, it looks like im just going to have to live with it, landlord said no to putting up a shed.... Period :cry I guess its back to lying in the dirt to do oil changes.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Realize this is an old thread, but alot of storage units around here (south Dallas) prohibit vehicle storage due to fire hazard. And on-site security cams make sure folks don't try to "secretly" store them at night. Actual vehicle storage units obviously have much higher rental fees.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts