Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my rant of the day after laying on this rack all day(f450 flywheel, and freightliner 9 speed clutch)
anybody else have a hoist similar to this one? i hate this nasty always oily thing with a passion.
anybody still have one that works or in a shop turning out tons of bussiness? i cant see why we keep it.
and of course this is always the rack you change ford oil pans on, im shure you can imagine how well that goes with 2 pieces of I beam and a large cylinder in your way!
you can see my ghetto jacktsand wedged under the hoist so it doesnt sink on my while i have the trans jack attached(cause yes, it does sink, and suddenly fall at times.)
anyways, makes for fun for doing a clutch job.
my options are. pick up whole truck, but to do that truck would need to be 3' farther foreward to get the rearend on the hoist, and that would then put the trans on the i beam part of the hoist and leave my working in the pit opf the hoist
but to do that anways i would have to bumperjack the back some as it wont lift this 14k thing up
or push it back and lift it like this till the rear bumper contacted the ground and the hoist stopped lifting.
oh, tons of fun for the deisel that blew up the flywheel.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Those can be rebuilt easilly. If you can find the serial plate, or even the manufacturer they probably sell a seal kit for it. If its an air-on-oil lift theres a seal and a backer on the piston, and then the normal O rings and valve seals on the valves and lines. When I was in highschool I worked at a station with 4 lifts and we rebuilt all 4 (about 40 years old) in a few days. After that they worked like they were brand new again. The valves are a piece of cake. Getting to the piston seal was a different story

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
It looks pretty similiar to one of the ones we have at our hobby shop, that thing is scary, and it has a very limited working space as the center part where the piston is is freakin huge. You can also only use it all the way up as it only has a safty catcher at the bottom of the tube, and its a foot controlled on, meaning you gotta sneak under there and set it with your foot and get it to stand up straight with your foot when you want to lower it (a task in itself)

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I always hated those lifts. I never had to work on anything that heavy but unless you were doing tires, brakes, or oil changes there was always some part of the lift that was in the way. The one garage I worked at years ago that style lift was the better of the two options. They had had a post lift installed and they used electrical box covers to try and level it and it always made these horrendous popping and banging noises the higher the car got. Anyway you had to be feeling good at the end of the day. Not to mention the time and aggrevation that has to add to the job.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
we had those in our HS shop except they weren't as long, only about as wide, anytime you lifted the whole car up it would teeter back and fourth while you tried to work on it.

BurnedB said:
tons of fun for the deisel that blew up the flywheel.

no pics of carnage, you know that is the only reason we look at your threads :smash

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BrokeCuzWheelin said:
I surprised you guys don't have a big ass drive on rack for stuff like that. That's what we have.
our shop was built in the 50's and thats what the bosses idea of the tools we use is still based in.
we still have 3 bumper jacks, and they get used ALL the time.
no big drive on, just a 14k bumper jack and a 25 ton towtruck boom(yes, we DO work off the tow truck boom!!)
that hoist sucks ass.... did a fuel pump on a chevy 3500 van body based box van on it. could only lift the rear as the front i had to move very offcenter to clear the heating ducts(had a stupidly gay large ladder rack on the 12' roof) and i then did a 45 gallon fuel tank on the ground at a stupidly large angle. all in all fun.
if i can work here, anyplace else will be a BREEZE!!
hell, the boss makes us lift 1 ton dually;s on that in ground next to this one.
those arms get like 7" of sag on the ends when a big truck is on it. im waiting for the arms to snap off that one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts