Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removed the 170,00 mile 302 today from my '88 in prep for the new 302 HO that goes in tomorrow.

Some where back in this truck's life, a previous owner must have had a pretty bad radiator or heater core leak. Evidently the age old addage "use as much 'Barr's Seal' as it takes" was his philosophy.

The raidator and heater were just about completely sludged up to the point where there couldn't have been much water circulating. (Heat hasn't worked since I bought the truck)

We opted to remove the water pump on the old engine to make sure nothing slammed into the a/c condenser during the lift.

The waterpump was so corroded, every bolt snapped off instead of backing out of the timing cover and the block.

The language coming out from under that hood! :eek:

The corrosion in and behind the water pump were so severe that it took a 3 pound mall and two 3' pry bars to get it off.
:shocked It was so bad, we ended up shattering the timing cover (not to mention the final condition of the waterpump) in the "removal process."

(I'm not getting my core charge back on this one)

Don't neglect those flush and fills boys and girls.

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

......out with da old.

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
how long would you guesstimate it took for 2 guys to remove the motor minus the time for the water pump?

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well while I'm not a professional at this, I've done countless over the years. I'm also fortunate enough to have a good friend who is a professional at this ans is dayum good at it too.

First you need a lessons learned plan. Forums such as this have provided an incredible amont of info.

THANKS FSB!

We started marking and tearing the old one down around 2 on Friday afternoon. Worked on it for about 3 hours, called it a night.

Started around 9 on Saturday and had it out by Noon. But that does include about 40 minutes of &^%$(* with that stuck water pump!

We like to work at a nice leasurely pace.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts