1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Repo'd
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first for the story.
3:00pm
A guy from another forum "4WP's new one" gives me a call on
Monday to ask me if I can come down to the pit and pull him out.
The guy has a newer Chebby ZR2 S-10 on 33" X-Terrians tryin to run the big pit, Go figure.

Anyway I go yank him out, he thanks me and all and leaves. I have a friend in a 95 ranger following me and I can't really do any playing so we head out on a trail that I take pretty often and know that the stock ranger should be able to follow,

Ha :lolup Famous last words.

I'm going first when we come over a little hill and down to a little puddle that is right before a pretty good hill climb for us to have a little fun on the way out.

Well I start over the puddle and the land around me starts raising, A LOT,

"Wow," I say as I have to crawl out the window to get out of my rig and survey the situation. No sign of tires or way to open the doors. Scratch the head for a few and start calling the friends with the biggest trucks around.
I start digging with the K/P shovel and everyone starts showin up to see my rig and help while the laugh.

First was the stock ranger that was with me, No traction and we gave up.

Then a FS Bronco with street tires(Should have known better) We had to push him half way out.

Next a Zuki tried, and insisted on wraping a chain around his spring hanger. "Yank"="Pop" ripped it right out and he went home cursing himself.

Finally a worthy rig shows up, FS Chebby K5 Blazer with 38" or 39" Boggers, 1 ton Locked front and rear axles, Small block 400, 8500lb Warn winch. Pulled for an hour or more trying everything we could from winching, yanking, anchoring to three rigs and using two snatch blocks. And then the winch puked out all the gears. So he quit and went home pissed.

Next 77 Chebby 350 36" Swampers Yanked the F" outta me untill he reved it to the point that he blew the distributor shaft threw the top of the rotor cap on one last try.

11:00pm
After that we gave up for a bit, started a bondfire to warm up and think of what else to do.

12:30am
"Let's go get a Catapilar Back-hoe and do it right"
So off to a friends after a quick call and by 2:00am
we were back in the muck. Diggin and pullin for 2 more.
Three 80k chains broken
One 100k chain broken

The Cat had to lift me up two or three feet and back to finally get me out of the worst stuck I have ever been in or ever seen.

4:00am
The end of a 13 process that started with me helping someone out. And yes I am still tired.

I have some cruddy pictures that don't really do the whole thing justice. but a friend got some really good ones with a better camera. I will have those soon I hope.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Lol those are fun stucks. Mine worst ever is when i had my B2. it all started after changing my front diff fluid. my brother had a hard on for painting the pumpkin a bright orange for a reason still unkown to god. so i waas running late for my duty at my local Fire department. My pumper hauls ass by just as i pull in so i get really upset(i almost never get angry cause i do very very bad things{and just to think of what i do when im upset}) so i go to a local trail and just start playing, then the thought hey i never been that way. so i start going that way. kept going for about 2 miles back then i saw a hill it didnt look to steep so i start to go down. i see it got steeper so i deceided to call it and turn around. uh-oh no tracktion. my vehicle starts slidding forward so i put it into drive and decieded if im going down i better not resist. the hill went form about a 10 degree decline to about a 45 degree. i started picking up speed and nailing ruts hard. then then hill went twisty curvy on me so i end up on 2 wheels sliiding sideways then BAM. theere went my pass side door. dented really bad. scapped that rock(about 25 feet long) the whole way then it kept going. i came to the bottom. i looked up and :shocked :shocked :shocked . i went down a curvy ravine that was at about a 45 degree down hill and about 150 yards down. so i try to go up and i get like 10 ft back up. at this point im pissed. i just shut it down, grab everything worth something and start walking back. so i call my brother on his cell explaining to him that im lost in the woods, just destroyed my vehicle and its about 15 degrees out. so i found a location that was familiar, my old middle school. i had my brother meet me there and i told him just leave it there i need to go destroy something else(my dignity) the next day i return to see it untouched from its final resting location. i didint have money for a winch so i bought a come-a-long. i hooked up a tow strap and got started. in about 2 hours we moved more or less 10 ft.(because the straps streched.) so my dad brought home 60 ft(2 30ft sections) of like 5ton weight chain and a 15000# tow cable. so we hooked the tow cable to the frame(both sides) hooked the comealong to the tow cable and the chain. we wrapped the chain around a tree and pull it with a comealong up a 45 degree hill 10 feet at a time. 3 weeks later and a foot and a half of snow later. it was about 50 yards from the top. i went to homedepot to and buy 6 boards(6 foot by 1 foot by 1 inch) and started bridging ruts. it made it easier to use the come along liek that. later i bought an axe and a shovel and cut averything and everything to fill the ruts and the next day my baby(at the time) came home. I learned more about vehicle recovery that month than any offroad fun i had done before. This is my story so you can all laugh at me if you wish. i had pictures but cant seem to find them(reall pics not Digital)(longest reply ever)if this was while i was upset, imagine me when im angry.
Tim

·
Repo'd
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sucks,

By the way, the bog that the first rig is in, is not
what I was stuck in, I can run that pit 8 out of ten times.

The tree line behind him is were I found the sink hole.

Mind you I don't really fret about getting stuck. Kinda fun
once in a while. I say if your not getting stuck now and again,
Your not trying to test your rig to the full potential.

I just hope I am never tested to the extent I was on Monday.

·
Repo'd
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK you like pics, I got the good ones posted at my SFO.
Click the url

http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=2936&s=15523#content

As for tires 37x12.50x15's
They are way to small for my rig :p

This stuck has cost me more money than I wish to think of.
and is still running up a bill. Some is my fault for not regreasing
and not changing fluids. But the bill is getting higher. :smash

·
Registered
268 Posts
That dosen't look like it should have been that hard to get out in the pics. If I was there I would have tried to pull you out but probably would have failed. At least you got it out of there.

·
Registered
132 Posts
oops.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,998 Posts
Pony-boy said:
This stuck has cost me more money than I wish to think of.
and is still running up a bill. Some is my fault for not regreasing
and not changing fluids. But the bill is getting higher. :smash
I was gonna ask you 'bout the bills...what does a fawkin caterpillar cost to rent these days? :shocked kinda makes you think about maybe doing that next mod (that will help keep you unstuck) that you thought you couldn't afford before you go back on that trail...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts