Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1990 bronco is going to die! would it be better to get a new engine/and trans/tires,shocks and etc or a new car?. the miles are 127,000 is this high? i love this car to death, but is the ford bronco a crap bucket or would it be worth it to fix? i would just like to know the cost of geting the truck fixed and is it worth it? also is a rebuilt engine as good as a new one which one would last? i have no i idea about any of this stuff so maybe some advice would be good.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
If you really like it and the body is in good shape and I'd say keep it. My body's a rotten rusted out hunk of junk but I still put money into it all the time. If you've got the Bronco bug keep it if not get something else

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just want a different view on weather or not to keep the thing and put money into to it or put money into another car. the truck has no body damage or rust its was really pretty intill i messed the bumper up but i can fix that. other wise is the 128,000 mile s on it high should i be worried? how long do they last? also shes leaking oil from the rear seal/gasket covers what does this mean? also i think it needs new shocks, and i think she needs some real tlc. if i was to really clean and restore the truck how much would i be looking at? for a new engine or rebulit on it also i think the transmisson is about to take a shit sometimes when its shifting it sounds like a big thump and it takes awhile to acclerate. any advice is wanted i have my friends and family telling me it a junk car but then people on the street really like her. i just don't know :cry

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
crowcrow said:
if i was to really clean and restore the truck how much would i be looking at?
1. My Bronco has 480,000 miles on it. I have over $20,000 dollers invested in it (And it was given to me). I'v blown 5 engines 4 tranys and the entire back axle. All offroading. It doesn't even have an engine in it right now.

2. If you are seriously asking yourself this question then you need to sell it and buy a Honda.

3. All Broncos are atleast 10yrs old. If you have no mechanicle ability and arent willng to learn then sell it to some one who is.

4. What has actualy failed.

5. What is leaking?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what is leaking? =the rear seal from the front of the car which is connected to trans\and every time i get the head gasket covers fixed they leak again. what does this mean? also when the truck is shifting it make a thump and will hesitae to acclerate. is that the transmisson? i have no clue whats really wrong. each time i take her to get fixed i ask them whats wrong and they never tell me so i am fed up with the car guys and now i am seeking my own knowleage from else where. also when i come to a stop i hear a metal noise like its coming from the brakes but it sound more like the susp/shocks or something have to do with the front end conected to the wheel system. its like a bang/cling each time i stop. also the brakes never last long is this because there cheap pads? also are these trucks easy to fix up in your own backyard or does it take skill? i have no knowleage but i would like to try to learn.

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
depends on your mechanical skills...but if you do plan on keeping it buy a haynes...start reading and visit here often...about everything you need to learn can be found here.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
crowcrow said:
and every time i get the head gasket covers fixed they leak again. what does this mean? .
1. It means there is no such thing. There called valve covers and your since you arent doing it yourself the shop Monky is probably usink $5.00 cork gaskets that will never ever seal. You must use the $35.00 Ford Racing gaskets if you dont want it to leak

crowcrow said:
also when the truck is shifting it make a thump and will hesitae to acclerate. is that the transmisson? .
Auto? Manual? A little info will help

crowcrow said:
each time i take her to get fixed i ask them whats wrong and they never tell me .
Thats becouse they are morons. There is a reson most mechanics are mechanics. Becouse they are to damn stoopid to do anything else. If you want to fix an older vehichle you must learn to do it yourself

crowcrow said:
from else where. also when i come to a stop i hear a metal noise like its coming from the brakes but it sound more like the susp/shocks or something have to do with the front end conected to the wheel system. its like a bang/cling each time i stop. also the brakes never last long is this because there cheap pads? .
Stop bying cheap pads and inspect the brakes and suspension bushings

Do you own a Hayns manual?

crowcrow said:
i have no knowleage but i would like to try to learn.
Then learn, start with one issue at a time and we will all help you thrue it.

But only one at a time.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Sorry to hear about your truck. I know what a hassle a car/truck can be for someone who may not have all too much experience with car mechanics. I didn't know anything and i mean NOTHING when I got my first car at 16 (geo prizm, I know!) . . . and so I kept getting ripped off by mechanics and the car just frustrated me. But what I have learned (especially from all the people on this site) is that there is almost nothing that can be fixed . . . but you have to put time, energy and sometimes some elbow grease into it . . . and don't feel bad if that's not your thing right now . . . sometimes the headache is not worth it . . . either way, good luck . . . I personally recommend to take the path least traveled, which is to get under your rig with someone, anyone and get that hayne's manual and start doing some things . . . you'll learn a lot and you'll feel a sense of accomplishment that you'd otherwise only feel after dropping a HUGE turd in the bowl, stepping back and realizing what you did and taking a moment and saying "Wow, I CREATED that? Dang!"

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,986 Posts
Aight crow we need some info now to help you out.

Do you know your engine size?
Choices are: 300 (4.9L) I6, 302 (5.0L) V8, 351 (5.8L) V8.

Do you know your tranny?
Assuming automatic:
E4OD (door jam sticker trans code of E, display of PRN(D)21, and an overdrive lockout switch.)
AOD (door jam sticker trans code of T, display of PRN(D)D1 and not behind a 351)
C6 (code of K and a display of PRND21, doubt you have it, but in case)

If you have a stick, four or five speed?

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for understanding mashori . any way to the speeder guy its a stock every thing 1990 ford bronco fullsize eddie bauer with a 5.0 302 automatic with 4x4 that doesn't work anymore. also to the guy who gave offer= i am not that stupid i could get a hell of a better price for her! i had someone offer me $4000 on the street which i should of made a done deal, but oh well. anyway its my back bumper that got messed because i ran someone off the road and they had there whole bumper come off. i tryed to knock the lip in my bumper out but it won't move so i figure i go see whats at the junkyard. :cry

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
keep the bronc, at least you know whats been replaced so far, and once you replace somthing just check it off the list and sooner or later youll have a near new bronc

1 - 16 of 16 Posts