Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of the installation of a transgo shift kit in my e4od and was thinking that maybe I should have done a writeup on it. Is anyone interested in one with pics of everything?
Edit:
Gotten a couple PM's about this. Never got the writeup done becasue all digital pics of the install got lost. Sorry

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
sgroer said:
I am in the middle of the installation of a transgo shift kit in my e4od and was thinking that maybe I should have done a writeup on it. Is anyone interested in one with pics of everything?

Sure it is a very good idea, and you can never have enough good write-ups.....as long as there are plenty of pictures........but I thought you said you were in the middle?????

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in the middle, but have been taking pics for reference that I could use for a writeup.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
sgroer said:
I am in the middle, but have been taking pics for reference that I could use for a writeup.
Perfect.......there are lots of people out there with E4OD's behind their engines.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK,
I'll have a writeup by the end of the week. I should have the install done tonight if all goes well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can get the transgo on Ebay for about $75 shipped and yes, it's a great candidate for that. Lots of good info on this site if you search for transgo.

·
Registered
580 Posts
A write up would be awesome. Looking at a tranny kit for my E4OD

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Kikwear said:
I read a lot that it firms up the shifts. Firm like hard? I like the way my trans feels when it shifts.
You might, but the tranny doesn't ... soft shifts eat clutch and band linings, build up heat, and are horrible for your automatic. They are a little easier on other driveline components, and the engineers program in a soft shift because the stupid customers would gripe otherwise. :duh :histerica

Me, I'm tired of rebuilding automatics, and will happily take a firm shift vice a soft, mushy, tranny-killing one. :thumbup I'd definitely keep an eye out for a writeup. I've had a TransGo kit sitting on my shelf for a while waiting to go in, was going to put it in when the rest of the cab swap is done before I put it back on the road. Can't be too much harder to do than the B&M kit I put in my friend's AOD a while back during a rebuild ... really just changing a few springs and drilling a couple of holes.

Keep us posted! :twotu:

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Chuck said:
You might, but the tranny doesn't ... soft shifts eat clutch and band linings, build up heat, and are horrible for your automatic. They are a little easier on other driveline components, and the engineers program in a soft shift because the stupid customers would gripe otherwise. :duh :histerica
:stupid x 1,000
Firm shifts = good
Slow sloppy shifts = bad

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey cool web site i have been thinking of looking into a shift kit or converter/valve body setup.I have a Dogde diesel and alot of poeple are running after market torque coverters and valve bodies to help harness power and keep there trannies alive.I had my Broncos trany rebuilt and up graded but it still has soft shifts .Im going to look into these upgrades.Brian

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Is this really needed for a tow rig? I've got over 120k miles on my stock tranny with no problems yet. Is it too late in its life to go with a shift kit?

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
It's never too late to do the right thing! :muscle071

Seriously; in a towing application a shift kit is mandatory (sp?). I fried my E4OD @ 140k miles and I finished it off with some towing (and maybe just a little water :brownbag ).

EDIT: I would love to see a write-up on a shift-kit for the E4. I really wanna put one in my tranny, but two things are holding me back.

1. I have NEVER done anything to a tranny beyond change the oil. Did I just say that?

2. I don't want it to shift like my 97 F-250 did after it's E4OD messed up (no shift kit). The 250's OD light would start to flash; then it would shift so damn hard, your head would snap back. If you didn't have your head CRAMMED into the back of the seat every time it shifted, you would be looking a major headache.
Anyway, just how firm is a "firm" shift?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yep thats a trouble code and the hard shifting was the trany going into trouble mode.My trany was acting werd then the hard shifting started that was right before i had it rebuilt.The trany shop told me the computers up the pressure to keep it from slipping long enough to get you home or to a shop.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
"Firm" typically means "you're going to feel it when it shifts," not "you're going to feel it for the next ten minutes, OW!"

In other words, it won't turn it into the neck-snap-o-matic unless you set it up to (many, if not most, shift kits have three or four different "levels" of springs and pistons included, with instructions for which to use for what effect).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guys, I got the Transgo finished last night and everything is buttoned up. Took it for a test drive last night, and it feels incredible. It is not bone jarring at all. Just a firm, quick shift. I had never been inside a tranny before this install and I had no trouble with this mod. Total work time was 3-4 hours. I could probably do it faster now. I wasted an hour with the stupid solenoid pack. I'll work on the writeup this week. Hopefully by the weekend, I'll have it done.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts