Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would one of the last generation Explorer 5.0 engines fair well in a FSB, as far as daily driver status and possible minor towing capabilities (16ft trailer w/Mustang)?

I tried doing searches, but am not coming up with decent threads on the topic...

Also, why do some say a Mustang 5.0 not a good engine option in FSB?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Cobra Jet said:
Would one of the last generation Explorer 5.0 engines fair well in a FSB, as far as daily driver status and possible minor towing capabilities (16ft trailer w/Mustang)?
A351w would do a lot better.

Cobra Jet said:
Also, why do some say a Mustang 5.0 not a good engine option in FSB?
The cam puts peak power a little to high in the RPM band for a big heavy truck

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
i think the explorer one would work, some of them little shits have some power. but the mustang one you would need to swap cams. but essentially a 302 is a 302

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Gacknar said:
A 351w 5.8 would be a better swap.
yes this is true, but how hard is it to swap a 351 into a 302? what are the things you have to do to get it running with the same tranny and everything else like that.

if he is wanting to swap lets say in a day or so a 302 for 302 will be the esiest way to do it.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
yes this is true, but how hard is it to swap a 351 into a 302? what are the things you have to do to get it running with the same tranny and everything else like that.
He has an 87, he doesnt list what tranny, but lets assume it is an AOD.

To swap a 87 302 EFI/AOD to a 351w will require a 351w computer and a Flex plate from an 351/AOD car. He will also need the "Y" pipe from the doner truck.

Thats it, Its that easy.

(Thats of course assuming he is getting a complete junk yard engine with dizzy and fuel rails)

These things came with 351w as an option, so a swap is super easy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We put a 98 Mounty 5.0 in a buddies 86 BKO, and he loves it.
More Power than a stock BKO 5.0, Has the Better heads (gt40P) and intake.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The explorer engine has gt40 heads and intake so that is for starters a better starting point. The cam in the explorer is prob. alittle better for the full size truck than a mustang cam.

FWIW the mustang cam can be used with some good results you just need to retard it like 4 or so degrees to gain some low end trq. and the mustangs stock intake will make more low end trq. but the gt40 makes up for it with its extra flow above 3,500-4,000rpm. Again this is not the BEST thing but not the end of the world.

The only diff. from a mustang 5.0 and a truck is the intake and cam (well the springs may be diff. also due to diff. cams).

Basicly....351>explorer 302>stock 302.

·
Registered
554 Posts
all the 5.0 explorers had them...the early years like 97 and older that had the 5.0 had the reg. gt40 heads and intake that had the internal EGR passage stuff. The 97 (not 100% if this is the year) has the gt40P heads and intake that do not have an internal EGR passage needing an external tube to bring the EGR gasses in if you plan on running smog FWIW.

·
Registered
605 Posts
ive got a mustang 5.0 from a 92 thats carbed.....i set the timing back about 5 degrees an its runnin great. decent low end power an shes great on the top end though i must admit at 5 degrees retard she runs alittle funky when you first take off but then again my carb needs to be re-built,cleaned, and flow benched not to mention i still have the stock gears an 35's

·
Registered
656 Posts
I know a bit about explorer motors. All you have to do is add an aftermarket cam, and people are getting great numbers out of explorer motors......much more power than a 351
Take my mustang for example. When my motor went, i got a 55k explorer motor for $650, it was a late(after april)97' motor with gt40p heads, and the explorer intake. All i added was a crane 2031 cam, and the motor put out just below 280HP/310TQ to the wheels....given this is on a stang with the usual bolt-ons, but i'de be damned if this thing dident make almost 100hp over my stock motor......what im getting at is, over the stock 5.0 bronco motor, the power increase will be HUGE, IMO much more than a stock 351. There are guys making almost 300rwhp with just a diffrent intake on an explorer motor....plus they can be had cheap! If my motor goes, you KNOW whats going in there lol.....you cant beat the bang for your buck.

oh, btw if you do use an explorer motor, DONT use the cam......for some reason ford put a cam that looks like a broomhandle......it has NO lift, and is why the explorer motors are rated soo low in there stock form. With the higher compression, and great flowing heads, coupled with an intake the compares to a cobra, its a great foundation

·
Registered
554 Posts
I am not 100% on the trucks EGR systems...

If you have an external tube from your headers/manifolds going to your intake or you see an EGR hard line that is going into the intake...you can use either one but will need to mod the explorer intake(p style) to something like a 94-95 mustang as these years also are external EGR, IF the trucks are both the internal style (the older explorer's are the internal ones with the reg. gt40's) then just use averything from the explorer and it will look/hook up like a fox (87-93) mustang.

I put 351> due to the fact that if you get the head bolt holes opened up to take a 1/2in bolt an get an intake you will make more than the 302 will. However, that explorer motor is one hell of a hot rod setup for trucks and cars for the price.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
In a heavy assed truck H.P. is not important. Tourqe is the name of the game. The lower in the RPM band the better.

351>302

300>302

I always loved my 302, but when it comes to torqe and cost, the 351w is a better choice.

Especialy with a few mods.

My 351w

In a Mustang this engine would not do well at all. It reaches peak HP and Tourqe way to low in the RPM band. But in a 6,000lb truck, it will be right at home.

You have to build the engine to meet the aplication. What works in a fast car will be a dog in a heavy truck. What works in a heavy truck will run out of steam way to early in a light car.

Performance is more than just building an engine. It's building it to meet an aplication.

·
Registered
656 Posts
my motor made 310tq at 4,000 rpm, NA. those gt40p heads are great heads.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Greenmustanggt said:
my motor made 310tq at 4,000 rpm, NA. those gt40p heads are great heads.
Factory 351w/5.8 EFI specs
210 HP @ 3600 RPM
325 TQ @ 2800 RPM

The torque is higher and it happens way lower.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the replies, opinions and thoughts about the question I had above...

What I am looking for is a direct drop in 5.0 for a 94 Bronco w/ a detonated 5.0 (long story). I thought of going to a salvage yard in PA that sells used 5.0's with a warranty and instead of seeking out another 94 Bronco 5.0 (which they do have), that I'd seek out the latest Explorer 5.0 engine and just use it instead, since it was the last pushrod 5.0 Ford produced (and as we all know, it has great results when used as just a drop in or when modifying it).

My concern was the possible weight difference between a full size 4-door Explorer and that compared to a FSB - meaning, how would the Explorer 5.0 react once installed into a FSB.... (i.e.: would it operate just as well if not better than a stock FSB 5.0 as far as lugging around a FSB as opposed to an Explorer body). I've seen FSE's towing large trailers w/cars or boats, so I figured the FSE 5.0 would be a nice fit into a FSB...

that's where I am at with the decision at the moment.... :thumbup

1 - 20 of 39 Posts