Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I turn the key, electrical power disappears through my truck. Power locks, windows, the door dings and anything electrical is dead. I checked the battery and its fine. What gets me is the door dings comes back on, but only to disappear again when i turn the key.

Surely this isn't due the ignition switch.

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
Could be dirty battery terminals or bad/corroded cables, especially grounds.
Clean your battery terminals and check for corrosion under the insulation of your cables

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
Is everything tight? Sounds like a bad ground or cable problem. Also have your battery load tested, it wouldn't hurt to have your started test as well, it could have went out and is drawing a ton of juice

·
Registered
221 Posts
Is everything tight? Sounds like a bad ground or cable problem. Also have your battery load tested, it wouldn't hurt to have your started test as well, it could have went out and is drawing a ton of juice
I agree with checking the Cables first make sure they are clean and tight and battery is charged,, Might be a short on the switch or wires coming from the ignition, but its a rare occurrence. My car does the same as your truck and I thought the cables were good too, but I was WRONG !!! :twak

·
Premium Member
9,989 Posts
Pull codes from the vehicle computer and see what elec/electronic faults are indicated and proceed with diagnosis.

Check the alternator harness "connector" condition and find out if your "voltage regulator" is either internal with the alternator or external remote mounted and test.

Additional help:
Haynes Repair Manual
www.broncolinks.com
FSB member El Kabong's - "baba loohey's favorite FSB links" and questions

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I checked the grounds and battery cables. I get in to start it up and its all fine. Even the CEL that were on are now gone. Im so confused. @[email protected] I tighten the grounds and terminals down so I really hope this doesnt happen again. Im going to get an OBDII on it just in case.

·
Super Moderator
26,966 Posts
yo,
So you think it was in the cables? Sometimes there is corrosion along wire strands, hidden by the batty or ground clamps

If not;
Wiring Diagram in a 96 5.0 and 5.8 from Bronco Workshop Manual

to test the ign sw
Switch Pin-Out Diagram & Continuity Testing (Logic Tables) in 80-91 & 92-96 Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

'92-96
B1, B2, B3, B4, B5 - Y Battery to Load
GND - Bk
Accy1 - Bk/LG
Accy2 - Gy/Y (connected externally to A3)
Accy3 - Gy/Y (connected externally to A2)
Accy4 - Gy/Y
Ign1 - R/LG
Ign2 - not used
Start - R/LB
Proof1 - Bk/LB (diesel)
Proof2 - T/LG.
=================

in Diagram j5630c Below
Ignition Switch Connector in a 96 (a little more accurate)

Pin Number Circuit Circuit Function
B1 37 (Y) Battery to Load
B2 37 (Y) Battery to Load
B3 37 (Y) Battery to Load
B4 37 (Y) Battery to Load
B5 37 (Y) Battery to Load
A1 297 (BK/LG) Accessory Feed from Ignition Switch
A2 687 (GY/Y) Accessory Feed
A3 687 (GY/Y) Accessory Feed
A4 687 (GY/Y) Accessory Feed
P2 512 (T/LG) Bulb Test
GND 57 (BK) Ground
STA 32 (R/LB) Starter Control
P1 41 (BK/LB) Warning Lamp Proveout
I1 16 (R/LG) Ignition Switch to Ignition Coil Battery Terminal
I2 � Not Used

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,989 Posts
I had to clean my Neg battery cable end "bolt" that goes thru it from corrosion today, it comes with the territory of routine maintainance checks.....:doh0715:

Glad you got it sorted out ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
102 Posts
Clean them up anyway. When it happens again, that problem is eliminated.
Also, check the power wire to the spade terminal on the starter. That was the culprit for the same symtoms on mine.

·
Super Moderator
26,966 Posts
Clean them up anyway. When it happens again, that problem is eliminated.
Also, check the power wire to the spade terminal on the starter. That was the culprit for the same symtoms on mine.
yo, I agree.
It prob will happen again; corrosion or bad ground attachmt etc. etc. can be affected by many thAngs incl. ambient temp/humidity

1 - 14 of 14 Posts