Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gettin some Hooker competition headers for my bronc. The thing is, obviously the exhaust will not match up since they are full length headers. Im not paying somebody $300 to install the headers when I can do it my self. So the problem is, I would need to install them and then drive it to the muffler shop, run just headers, nothing else. Good or bad??????

thanks for you input

·
Registered
600 Posts
you should be fine just make sure no wires are in the direct path. Such as sensors and what not.

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
For a short trip you will be fine. If you run them too far like that you might ruin your valves.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Other than your ears it should be fine. I ran my Mustang for a little while with wide open manifolds. it was loud as hell. It was kinda cool to make every car alarm go off as you drove by.

·
Premium Member
9,986 Posts
No big deal to go down the road a bit, long term I agree too loud and back pressure with open headers could burn a valve. :doh0715:

Good Luck Brother ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Full length headers won't pass SMOG.

Watch out for the base police, they may scrape your sticker.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help guys. Im not worried about pi$$in any body off cause I really dont care to much.........haha. I should be good considering I only have to go about 13 miles......

·
Forward Some Money
5,054 Posts
After a run at the strip with open headers, we stuffed something in the collector to keep the "cold" air away from the valves. Doing it once might not hurt, but I would probably do it anyway.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I ran headers and a little bit of pipe on my Mercury, loud doesnt even begin to cover it. If you can imagine going down the street and setting EVERY car alarm off.
Being too loud at idle to hold a conversation, sucking fumes at a stoplight. Its not too bad I guess, I never got hassled by the popo.
What year is your truck anyway, your EFI might not like open headers too much.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
its a 90 but like I said before, I only have to go about 13 miles to the muffler shop. I was thinking about getting the duals to come back and 45 out right before the rear tires but it looks like that might be a little difficult. Im thinking about just runnin the pipes back about 3 feet then the flowmasters then a turn down.......what do you think of that?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts