Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys, very new to the bronco world and looking to hop into one soon. Ultimately I would like one with a 5.8, however I have come across a few good deals with ones with 5.0's. (Lifted, clean, decent miles, etc.). Is it worth waiting and finding one with a 5.8, or would I be content with a 5.0? Not looking to go too crazy offroad, will be my DD and occasional offroad toy.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Sure you can buy a good 5.0...

I passed up on probably 30 mint with under 100K miles. I ended up getting a 5.8 with 130K that needed work. But the engine ran like a top. I will be running 38"+ Tires though, so I needed the Low end power...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely want to find a lifted one. So I feel the extra power would only benefit me. But if I come across a 5.0 it will be tempting. Is there a difference in gas mileage?

·
Registered
710 Posts
fuel mileage wise, the difference is in your foot!!! Lifted with big tires on it will really hurt your mpg though.

There is a school of thought that I tend to agree with (to a point) in that and engine with more low end power and better compression will give you more mpg than a smaller engine. Yes the 5.8 can drink more fuel, but using easy driving styles you might get a little better out of a 5.8 since it doesn't have to work so hard.

The big difference will be in how you drive it, and what type of lift/tire combo. Proper gearing with big tires will help, but still won't get as good as a stock bronco.

Also big mud tires are a little harder to roll on pavement smoothly than an all terrain or street tire. Stiff sidewalls make a huge difference as well, big bouncy super swampers don't want to roll very smooth, but if you put an all terrain stiff sidewall tire on it it'll roll better and get more mpg.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I definitely want to find a lifted one. So I feel the extra power would only benefit me. But if I come across a 5.0 it will be tempting. Is there a difference in gas mileage?
It's been said here before- If you're worried about gas mileage, you are looking for the wrong vehicle. I researched and read on here enough before I bought mine that I knew I only wanted the 5.8. Be patient, and find the right rig. Try some of the craigslist helper sites, like searchtempest.com, and widen your search area. I looked all over before I found what I was looking for. Be willing to take a road trip, and look for a few months if needed.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
When it comes down two it, there isn't a huge difference in power IMO. Motors are easy to change compared to bodies, and unless you're going to tow something heavy I wouldn't worry about it. These trucks are not the best tow vehicle in the world. Gears are where its really at, not to say power isn't important. The 5.8 will almost get the same fuel milage, but .8 of a liter isn't that much of a difference when it comes down to it...

Take it for what it's worth. Both are great engines. If I where you, buy the one that has the best body on it (unless you are gonna beat it). Then, if you want to, change the engine down the road...however I know if I was to change engines, I'd go 460. :D :thumbup:

KC

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's been said here before- If you're worried about gas mileage, you are looking for the wrong vehicle. I researched and read on here enough before I bought mine that I knew I only wanted the 5.8. Be patient, and find the right rig. Try some of the craigslist helper sites, like searchtempest.com, and widen your search area. I looked all over before I found what I was looking for. Be willing to take a road trip, and look for a few months if needed.
ditto what he said

hers's the site I used to find mine:

http://craiglook.com/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts